Easter ham quandry!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We have a 3 hour drive Sunday morning. We are bringing the ham, as well as the dessert. I don't really want to put the ham in our host's oven to warm it up for three hours before we eat, nor do I want to slice it ahead of time before we cook it. I thought about cooking it for 2 hours, then trying to finish it once we get there. I figure if I cook it ahead of time and slice it, it will be dried out for the holiday. Ugh.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
We have a 3 hour drive Sunday morning. We are bringing the ham, as well as the dessert. I don't really want to put the ham in our host's oven to warm it up for three hours before we eat, nor do I want to slice it ahead of time before we cook it. I thought about cooking it for 2 hours, then trying to finish it once we get there. I figure if I cook it ahead of time and slice it, it will be dried out for the holiday. Ugh.
wrapped up tight and put into an insulated container, it should stay warm and moist for a few hours.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Definitely don't slice ahead of time. I think it'd be fine to serve cold, so cook it fully before trip.

Reactions: Fritzo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Got me googling to see when Easter is this year, apparently next Sunday.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
um, crock-pot?

It's 14.54 pounds and won't fit. I might just end up slicing it up cold, then throwing it in the oven in a covered roaster for maybe an hour. The trouble is my potatoes also go in the oven, and they only have one small oven. She doesn't have a grill or anything except for a small stove. Maybe I'll do crock pot potatoes instead. I wish people would cook for me ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's a first world problem. On Easter I'm going to a speed dating event so luckily I don't have to worry about transporting giant pieces of meat.

Also lamb is the way to go on Easter by the way folks

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and nOOky

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
That's a first world problem. On Easter I'm going to a speed dating event so luckily I don't have to worry about transporting giant pieces of meat.

Also lamb is the way to go on Easter by the way folks
I believe ham is traditional on Easter feasts.

Feb 4, 2009
J. Hume Christ said "eat my body", he was the Lamb of God, ergo, eat lamb on Easter. Duh.
Ham is an American thing but yeah Lamb would probably be better suited. However the point to to get together & celebrate rebirth so whatever food serves that purpose is cool imo.

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
It's 14.54 pounds and won't fit. I might just end up slicing it up cold, then throwing it in the oven in a covered roaster for maybe an hour. The trouble is my potatoes also go in the oven, and they only have one small oven. She doesn't have a grill or anything except for a small stove. Maybe I'll do crock pot potatoes instead. I wish people would cook for me ;)
Look up 18 quart crock pots. Should be plenty big enough for your ham plus potatoes and any other veggies to cook along side it. :)

You can start cooking at home, keep warm while driving, and then finish cooking at her place.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
J. Hume Christ said "eat my body", he was the Lamb of God, ergo, eat lamb on Easter. Duh.
Why Christians insist on celebrating Halloween in the Spring is beyond me but since they do… Pigs in a Blanket is traditional Halloween fare and so should serve equally well for Easter.

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Why Christians insist on celebrating Halloween in the Spring is beyond me but since they do… Pigs in a Blanket is traditional Halloween fare and so should serve equally well for Easter.
The weather is generally nicer me thinks.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm just of Greek origin, and all of us plus other Middle Eastern Orthodox Christians also do the lamb. Not sure what the Russian Orthodox do.

Lamb is so much tastier than a ham though. A ham is good griddled with some breakfast food and some eggs or sliced thin for a sandwich.

Making it the main focus of a meal is just so strange. I'd rather have roast chicken.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wap it in butcher paper right after it comes out of oven and then in blanket. It will be warm when you get there.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm just of Greek origin, and all of us plus other Middle Eastern Orthodox Christians also do the lamb. Not sure what the Russian Orthodox do.

Lamb is so much tastier than a ham though. A ham is good griddled with some breakfast food and some eggs or sliced thin for a sandwich.

Making it the main focus of a meal is just so strange. I'd rather have roast chicken.
ham is a great centerpiece for a meal. It goes great with rice, mixed veggies, mashed potatoes, etc.

nothing wrong with any other meat. I like almost all meats out there except organ meats.