EA's DRM, arrogance may cause gamers to skip good titles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Wow, this is unbelievable..

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/6800.page

Nice reminder, that it's not worth purchasing a game infected with SecROM.

#9. He stated that resetting your CMOS or BIOS will use up an installation.
Anyone who plays with hardware is going to very quickly run out of activations.

Total number of days to get this issue resolved?: October 2, 2008 - October 7, 2008: 5 Days
Nice, 5 days of customer disservice hassles after you mess around with your PC.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: mindcycle
..and this is pretty hilarious.. lol

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1526/securom2gu8.png

:laugh:

Pic no worky anymore. :(

The individual in the Spore forum thread makes me glad I didn't buy the game. I likely would have simply ended the ordeal with a crack and made it known to EA that I did crack it directly as a result of their DRM and that I would not be purchasing any of their future titles.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: hans030390
Originally posted by: CP5670
A basic CD check does that equally well, which games had 10 years ago. Anyone who can bypass that can also get around the worst Securom implementations just as easily.

Which is harder? DVD or CD > rip to ISO Image > Burn image to DVD or CD

or

"Getting around" other security measures?

I'd say the latter is more difficult, harder to figure out (especially for a common user), more likely to get you in trouble, and impossible to do unless you know how to hack those things (much less likely than knowing where to find a crack).

As much as I love DVD/CD checks, I can understand why things like DRM are put in place.

They both have the same exact solution. Therefore, neither one is harder to break than the other. Either download a crack from a reliable site or from a torrent with reliable comments (bad torrents are quickly flagged as such). I don't download games anymore since I have a decent job now, but it's the height of naivety to think any form of DRM is harder to break than another when it all boils down to run an executable that fixes it for you.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: lxskllr

Internet isn't a req to play sp?

lol

try stalker, for example?

I don't understand what you're saying...

I'm saying, I could launch steam without my ethernet cable plugged in and play a singleplayer game.

The last time I tried this (with Portal in offline mode), it wouldn't launch without connecting first. It was already installed and activated. Steam sucks :|

I won't be buying EA games until the SecuROM crap dies. I've had problems with SecuROM games before.

I agree that DRM doesn't really affect pirates. It's to kill the used market and/or satisfy clueless executives. CDROM checks stop casual pirating, and hardcore pirates aren't affected by any DRM.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I agree with skace's sentiments and I find the compromise reasonable. There are those special cases were a lot of gamers are changing hardware in and out and always working on their systems, in which case either secureRom and crew should be able to help you with one phone call.

I don't think anybody likes DRM. It's limiting, it sometimes make the disc unreadable, and it's costly to the publisher. Though making a game with no security, even how useless, is just not a reality anymore. My only reasoning why I think they still support organizations such as SecureRom, is to hope they develop a more effective and less abrasive countermeasure in the future. If not, the publishers are just going to have to develop something in-house. And why not? If they make the device in-house, at least their customer support will know what the hell you're talking about when you call them.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: tk149
Originally posted by: lxskllr

Internet isn't a req to play sp?

lol

try stalker, for example?

I don't understand what you're saying...

I'm saying, I could launch steam without my ethernet cable plugged in and play a singleplayer game.

The last time I tried this (with Portal in offline mode), it wouldn't launch without connecting first. It was already installed and activated. Steam sucks :|

I won't be buying EA games until the SecuROM crap dies. I've had problems with SecuROM games before.

I agree that DRM doesn't really affect pirates. It's to kill the used market and/or satisfy clueless executives. CDROM checks stop casual pirating, and hardcore pirates aren't affected by any DRM.

i have not purchased an EA game in years

and yes steam has issues, you try and install HL2 without internet access see what happens

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: hans030390
Originally posted by: CP5670
A basic CD check does that equally well, which games had 10 years ago. Anyone who can bypass that can also get around the worst Securom implementations just as easily.

Which is harder? DVD or CD > rip to ISO Image > Burn image to DVD or CD

or

"Getting around" other security measures?

I'd say the latter is more difficult, harder to figure out (especially for a common user), more likely to get you in trouble, and impossible to do unless you know how to hack those things (much less likely than knowing where to find a crack).

As much as I love DVD/CD checks, I can understand why things like DRM are put in place.

They both have the same exact solution. Therefore, neither one is harder to break than the other. Either download a crack from a reliable site or from a torrent with reliable comments (bad torrents are quickly flagged as such). I don't download games anymore since I have a decent job now, but it's the height of naivety to think any form of DRM is harder to break than another when it all boils down to run an executable that fixes it for you.
Exactly. You only need ONE guy to hack it.
Once he posts it on the Web or a file-sharing network its all over. Data multiplies exponentially, especially when you talk about things like game cracks.
24 hours after he modifies an executable everybody in the world could have it installed.

I havent been on Direct Connect for a while but I promise the next big game to come out will be hacked almost immediately. The ISO for the game itself will spread a little slower since its much larger, but it still has exponential growth on the internet.