Earwax buildup problem

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
How many of you have this problem? I don't use Q-Tips since I heard they're not good to use. However I get a severe earwax buildup once every 2-3 months. I have to use Debrox Earwax aid (drops for the ear, then flush the ear out with a syringle bulb). It's a total pain in the ass.

Who else suffers from this?

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Earwax buildup after ONLY 2 or 3 months? That's like having to clip your toenails every year!

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
You're suppose to use q-tips on your outer ear to prevent wax from building up and getting in your inner ear.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Then use Q-tips. They don't hurt 95% of the people who use them.

My doctor says they shouldn't be used. While effective somewhat, they also push the remaining earwax back deep into the ear.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
I get nasty build up everyday, if i don't use a Q-tip, i can actually feel a nice chunk of wax fall from my ear.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Ears are supposed to be self-cleaning, which makes me wonder why this keeps happening.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Any other Chinese people here use one of those tiny ear spoons? (Best description I've got, sorry) Or anybody else, for that matter. :p

My ears are immaculate ^_^

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
If you shower every day, you would do well to clean your ears out every day. Just make sure they're very clean first, meaning use the ear-cleaning drops first.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
some ears just can't clean themselves. in that case, some people go to "ear lavage clinics" regularly.

Leeroy

Jun 26, 2006
Do it after a shower when it's all moist, and don't just jam it in, keep moving it around the edges. Try not to stick it straight through your ear drum, and you'll be alright. I've ben usig them for years with no issues.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Any other Chinese people here use one of those tiny ear spoons? (Best description I've got, sorry) Or anybody else, for that matter. :p

i have one. i use it from time to time. it tickles when you get deep enough.

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003

yup, but you should never stick anything in your ears says the doctor :p

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
there's a book called, why do men have nipples. it talks about ear cleaning. its supposed to naturally fall out. q-tips can impact the wax and push it back in. you can also damage your ear drums.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximus96

i have one. i use it from time to time. it tickles when you get deep enough.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, even though it's a weird thought as it is. I actually like the feeling, it's like a great itch. :D

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: zerocool1
there's a book called, why do men have nipples. it talks about ear cleaning. its supposed to naturally fall out. q-tips can impact the wax and push it back in. you can also damage your ear drums.

It's SUPPOSED to naturally fall out. It doesn't. Trust me. I'm lucky I have a mom who used to be a doctor and can clean out my ears for me every so often. After about a month or so without doing anything to my ears, the sh!t that comes out is rather unsightly.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: MixMasterTang
You're suppose to use q-tips on your outer ear to prevent wax from building up and getting in your inner ear.
Not exactly. Wax cannot reach the inner ear unless you have a puncured tympanic membrane. Wax originates in the auditory canal and moves outward, it does not move from the outside in.

You can use Q-tips if you have a sufficient amount of common sense. Start from deeper inside and pull out, don't start from the outside and scrape in. If you have severe buildup, particularly dried and clogging the canal you should use hydrogen peroxide and flush the wax out with warm water. You can use spray bottles for this purpose, but you have to be careful as a direct hit from those on the tympanic can cause acoustic trauma.

Originally posted by: zerocool1
anyone know anything about ear candles?
Scam, does nothing.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
First, no q-tips. They generally push the wax in, or often create a waxy tunnel making it extremely difficult to flush. The best bet is to use earwax drops regularly if needed and to seek professional help when it gets bad. Some of the over-the-counter ear wax kits include not only the drops and a bulb syringe but a small loop curette with a wide flang to prevent pushing it in to far.

Candling (or using a narrow cone of bee's wax to remove the wax via suction as the end of the candle is burned) is an old remedy but requires someone who has experience in the technique. I once saw a woman who was candling when her husband tilted the candle to high and hot liguid bee's wax entered the ear canal causing second degree burns inside her ear canal. Ouch.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: mattpegher
Candling (or using a narrow cone of bee's wax to remove the wax via suction as the end of the candle is burned) is an old remedy but requires someone who has experience in the technique.
If you want to pay some back alley quack for the 'procedure', that is your business; just don't go spreading the sham around to people that don't know any better.