Earthlink DSL or Cable $29.95 for Six Months.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I believe Earthlink has a 12 month committment (not sure if that's based on if you accept their free equipment or not)

Does Comcast have a committment?

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Comcast is running a promotion at $30 a month for 3 months. Compare to $30 for six month with Earthlink. I am going back home from college soon (no more t3 line :() and i need the internet for about three months, until i go back to school. My question is, should i go comacast or earthlink?

What does DSLreports say? Or Broadbandreports? bbreports? What's it called now? I heard Comcast sucks but I don't remember why or if it was an isolated incident of suckage.

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
wow, i've been away from these boards for a few months now. good to be back. :)

i'd just like to give a big thumbs DOWN for comcast. after their takeover of att broadband, things have become ridiculously expensive and i'm now in the process of figuring out which internet service provider to switch to. prior to comcast's takeover, i was playing $42 per month for att broadband cable (after a $20 for 6 month introductory offer). but i checked my bill this month and comcast is now charging me $60 per month!!!! i remember receiving a letter a while back saying that i could preserve my "discounted" rate by signing up with comcast cable television service as well, but i'm on a contract with hughes satellite. the thing is, when i originally was deciding between satellite and cable tv service back in january, i specifically called attbi and asked them if they offered a combo tv-internet discount and they said not for my area (sf bay area).

all this is to say i'm calling comcast this weekend to drop them as my internet service provider. someone mentioned that SBC is offering a $75 best buy gift card if you sign up through best buy, which may be my best bet at this point. in that regard, how long does it take nowadays to set up a new DSL account? back when i had DSL in my old apt through earthlink, it took more than a month to get it installed and set up. if i'm dropping comcast cable internet service, i'd like to get a replacement internet service set up asap. thanks for your help!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
aircasper - Just wanted to say that it's good to have you back, welcome back my fellow Ferengi :p

Controller

Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Askani
I've had Earthlink DSL (previously Mindspring) provisioned through Covad since 2000. I get 1500 down/ 384 up. Rossman, Earthlink does not place a cap on downloads. I download usually over 5 gb per day (yes I know thats alot). Earthlink's regular newsserver is slow, but their beta/test newsserver is fast. Has good completion rates and rention is almost a week. All around their server is good. I have been down a couple of times since 2000 (911, and couple of other things). Usually they fixed things fast. If you are in NYC and you have Covad in your area ask to be provision by Covad. That way you will get the full speed provided. Earthlink through Verizon only gives you half the speed, around 750 down/128 up.

Can all Earthlink subscribers connect to the beta/test newsserver? I'm hesitant to change from RR unless the newsserver speed is adequate at Earthlink.

Askani

Dec 31, 2000
Yes any Earthlink subscriber can download from it. I'm actually using my girlfriends's account to download. Reason I am doing that is because the server has places a cap on you after you download more then 20 gb in a month I believe. One you are caped your newsgroup download speeds sufer. But if you stop downloading for a bit, they go back up next month.

Controller

Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Askani
Yes any Earthlink subscriber can download from it. I'm actually using my girlfriends's account to download. Reason I am doing that is because the server has places a cap on you after you download more then 20 gb in a month I believe. One you are caped your newsgroup download speeds sufer. But if you stop downloading for a bit, they go back up next month.

So I understand that Earthlink caps your usenet downloads at 20gb per month. Think I'll pass on it then.....

ak3883

Apr 29, 2003
I think the earthlink offer is only good if you have TW cable, NOT comcast, not sure though. Did you punch in your address on the earthlink website to see if you were eligible?

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Quick questions.

1) someone mentioned something about being capped at 200 megs per day? So if I want to download a 250 meg game demo, I'm SOL?

2) also, about slow usenet downloads, what if I pay for easynews? will that be slow? thanks in advance.

DemiGoddess

Nov 26, 2001
I was just at Best Buy ... there was a shelf sign saying that if you signed up for Earthlink DSL through them, on the 6 months for $29.95 deal, they would also give you a $75 gift card. As always, YMMV.

canoner

May 26, 2003
looks like they have a 20 hours cap on free dial-up connection. The upstream is 128KB if choose DSL. It doesn't say if you have to commit one-year contract if you sign up DSL. Can someone confirm?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: canoner
looks like they have a 20 hours cap on free dial-up connection. The upstream is 128KB if choose DSL. It doesn't say if you have to commit one-year contract if you sign up DSL. Can someone confirm?
The 20 hour dialup limit is in addition to your DSL/Cable. The only downtime I've had has been because of Verizon, my telco, and they provide the actual DSL connection. When it happens, I just call Earthlink tech support and ask them to put a note in my account that my DSL was out, and they don't charge me if I have to go over the 20 hour limit. :)

See my earlier post about the one year commitment for DSL.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I have been without my roadrunner for a long time now since I moved in with my girlfriends parents, and have been looking into gettign it back, but haven't done it yet. This sounds like a great deal, but I may be confused about some things and need answers.

1. I live in Columbus, OH and did try to get cable internet from wide open west once, but they said that there line had been tapped by time warner(my girlfriends parents current TV provider) so they would have to drill a hole in the house to runa new line. I didn't want to do this since I will not be here forever. What I am wondering is, if I go with the earthlink cable internet, the cable and stuff itself is through time warner right? I already have cable run down to the basement were I live, so would they not need to run anything new. Just set it up and plu git in and it would be good to go? Like i said I don't want to have to drill any holes or anything drastic.

2. Also I think i read in the first post that time warner has no time commitment. I knew this, but just wanted to clarify that I could subscride to earthlink cable under the 6 month deal, and still cancel at any time and avoid extra charges?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I just entered my address in for earthlink and cable is not available, only dsl is. Anyways, Comcast is not 29.99 anymore, but 19.99 for the first 6 months in MA!

canoner

May 26, 2003
I went to Bestbuy website to check the details. Bestbuy says a one-year commitment with free Modem and they give $75 GC. Suppose I sign up directly from Earthlink, not getting the $75 GC, and not asking for a modem, can I waive the one-year commitment?

The other question is Bestbuy website says this about connecting to multiply computers:
"Only one computer in conjunction with the shipped modem will be supported unless the customer subscribes to EarthLink Home Networking "
I assume they will charge more for this home networking service. Do they have some way to prevent you from sharing the connection unless you pay them extra?

Thanks!

Askani

Dec 31, 2000
The 20 gb cap is only for speed not download. You can download for as much as you want. Once you go past 20 gb in a month your download speed, for usenet will be capped. Next month it will be good to go again. Compare this to pay usenet servers who limit you to an amount you can download per month or day and you will see how good this is as you don't pay extra and the server is quite good.

DemiGoddess

Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: canoner
I went to Bestbuy website to check the details. Bestbuy says a one-year commitment with free Modem and they give $75 GC. Suppose I sign up directly from Earthlink, not getting the $75 GC, and not asking for a modem, can I waive the one-year commitment? The other question is Bestbuy website says this about connecting to multiply computers: "Only one computer in conjunction with the shipped modem will be supported unless the customer subscribes to EarthLink Home Networking " I assume they will charge more for this home networking service. Do they have some way to prevent you from sharing the connection unless you pay them extra? Thanks!

From what I have been able to gather, the one year commitment applies whether you get a modem or not.

As for networking, what their statement means is that you CAN network, but they will not provide technical support for your connection unless you reconfigure your set up to have the modem directly connected to a single computer. Otherwise, network all you want. If you want a supported set up, you have to subscribe to their Home Networking service, which I do NOT recommend. The 2Wire Home Portal is a piece of crap.

MiExStacY

Mar 15, 2001
those that have eathlink dsl I was wondering I put a order for dsl on sunday and would like to know how long it took for everything to get hooked up? I'm pretty new to this i'm hoping it wont take more then 2weeks for this

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MiExStacY
those that have eathlink dsl I was wondering I put a order for dsl on sunday and would like to know how long it took for everything to get hooked up? I'm pretty new to this i'm hoping it wont take more then 2weeks for this
There are two parts to your answer -- the time it takes for your telephone company to connect the DSL service and the time it takes for your gear to arrive from Earthlink. Call them. They'll know more than anyone here, and they both live in one of your favorite area codes (toll free). :)

byum

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Earthlink/Mindspring SuX! Horrendous Customer Service and Support... Not to mention the crappy adsl service.

dealonfire

Nov 17, 2001
if you want 10000 miles instead, or if the $29.95 offer doesn't apply to you, you can take a look at this offer:

Sign up Earthlink Dial-up, DSL, Cable or Satellite internet access, earn 10000 Delta Skymiles.

Miles will be earned after customer has been an active, paying customer for 6 months. 10,000 bonus miles will be deposited into customer?s SkyMiles account within 12 weeks of receiving sixth EarthLink invoice.

you want get

link

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
I have earthlink dsl and I have been really satisified. The service is really fast and it definently tops the likes of pacbell and other major isps... Well part of it for me is i'm in silicon valley and the main server is really close to me so I get little latency. Check it out.