~~~~~~~~~EARTHLINK DSL OFFER~~~~~~~~~~

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kennyG

Sep 29, 2000
Anybody know what kind of modem Earthlink will send you when you sign up..
I,ve got 2 other computers that I would like to set up,so i need it to be networkable

hkchan

Oct 10, 1999
It'a an external modem that connects to your PC's NIC. At least that's what I got. In my case, the COVAD technician brought it when making the final installation.

WindBoy2000

Nov 14, 2000
i dunno i had both earthlink and flashcom. horrible customer support.
delays upto wazoo. i get dropped few hours a week.

TungFree

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
I am getting cable in a month but it is dynamic IP not Static like some said it was

TungFree

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here, but since the speed of cable vs. DSL is always a heated topic, it's bound to come up sometime. I recently heard that residential DSL (the kind we're paying just $40 or 50 for) is not really dedicated bandwidth as I understood it. I don't remember any more of the details, but this came from the technician who installed it at my roommate's business. Can anyone add to that?

FWIW, I have Telocity, and though I complained a lot about them last yeat (no service for a week in July, several other day+ outages), they have become much better. Their online CS is unresponsive, but once in a while I get a human on the phone and they're okay. Since the mail upgrade, I no longer get failed POP3 access messages from my mail client. They've definitely gotten better, but if something better comes up when I move this spring, I'll probably jump on it. Anyone recommend a good DSL in Cleveland? I need a static IP. I know cable isn't available and I'm hoping to get DSS anyhow, so no matter what I get, I still have to go through Americrap.

TungFree

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
Zwingle I am getting Road runner in a month and I plan to connect a Baricade 4 port switch router to the modem they install after they leave and connect 2 or 3 more PCs to the router. I understand that the LAN will maintain full transfer speeds no mater if one or 3 are doing the transfers between them but my question is:
If I am downloading from the Internet at say 500bps and another computer on the net begins to download from the net, will the speed cut down to 250 bps each?

also I will bi isued a dynamic IP and then plan to learn how to set up my baricade to issue lan vertual Dynamic IPs for any one of the other computers online. Any help here too will be appreciated like tutorials or additional firewall software as I plan to do both hardware and software double firewalls.

TungFree

Schmo

Oct 9, 1999
Yes, it can get pros and cons of each... but they are so general. It really depends on the implementation by your service provider. Geez... cable can be excellent and it can suck... depends on your cable company. Same goes with DSL.

You really don't know which is a better alternative until you try it. Theoretical maximums mean nothing.

gwbaker

Mar 7, 2000
KennyG I am not sure about earthlink. BUT, I was with mindspring which at the time was in the process of becoming earthlink when I upped to ADSL... The "bridge" or modem as some call it sent to me is a ZyXel Prestige 65?.... Front says 600 series, but the actual model is 65? think it is 651 but not positive.

kcbaltz

Apr 10, 2000
TungFree,

I have RoadRunner and although my IP is Dynamic, it hasn't changed in more than a year. If it's any hassle to setup your system for a dyn IP, just treat it like a static and see how long it works.

ALBundyHere

Jan 24, 2001
For those of you in Canada eyh!, DSL is far cheaper than in the states. I had Bell Sympatico service for $29.99 CAD thats $20 USD with no setup fee and a crappy cheap D-Link NIC. The modem had to be returned at the end of usage, but that goes for most of the ISPs in Canada. But that was a 4 month term, and after 4 months, it goes up to $39.99...until I found AEI.ca. I got to keep the $29.99 per month permanently, the modem is the same. I am getting the same 1.5mbps now as I did with Bell, just with more webspace now. :confused:

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
I had Earthlink dsl with this promotion. it was good for one user, but try spliiting up between 5 people gave me problems, as expected. the equipment is free and i still have the modem just sitting here. they gave me that Fujitsu modem and it was quite easy to install. the tech support was good and its a good deal for 39.99 a month.

tchan

Mar 12, 2000
So is everyone saying that if I just call Earthlink that they will waive the $99 sign up fee? Is there a contractual time commitment.

Also, has anyone confirmed that you get a static or non-static IP?

Thanks

CLM

Jan 8, 2001
I called Earthlink about 6 months ago and asked if Dsl service dwas available in my area and they told me it was for #39.95 month so I agreed to have it installed. They sent me the Dsl Modum kit and then told me that they don't have the service in my area so I cancelled. The following month they withdrew $168.00 off my credit card saying I had used more hours than was allowed for $39.95. I had in writing from them that $39.95 was unlimited hours. I called several times and asked how they figured the additional hours when the service was not available? After several calls I finally got them to reimburse my account. This took a couple weeks. They admitted they did not have service in this area and that it would not happen again. The next month they withdrew almost $200.00 from my account saying again that I had gone over the alloted minutes and gave an accounting of how many minutes I had used..(in an area where service was not and still is not available. Again it took numberous calls and about two weeks to get my money back. I finally put a block on my account to keep them from withdrawing funds. I DON'T NEED TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE THAT DO BUSINESS THIS WAY!!!

alfonsors

Oct 8, 2000
Others Have probably had better luck but I signed up a few months ago with no set up fees for $39p/m, DSL was approved in my area got the Software a month later and after 3 months cancelled the order because I never received my modem even after nemerous calls. Although polite, Customer service was never any real help. Gona try Verizon instead. Some of my fiends have told me they got there modems within 2-3weeks ...we'll see. I believe Verizon is a 1 year contract whereas Earthink was 6 months. That was my reason for going with them initially.

Yuniverse

Jan 27, 2000

<< dgoedken

YUniverse: What do you mean by &quot;tweeking&quot; you cable?? Change packet size??
>>

To dgoedken and others with slower earthlink dl speed:

goto www.dslreports.com and goto tools menu on the left... there's a simple(but very useful) program called Drtcp. You can change the settings with it. expanding Rwin value and others...

It'll improve your connection speed by two or threefold depending on your service. (i.e. my earthlink was 500kbps before, 1300 after; cable 1300 before 3000-5000k after :) )