Earthlink anyone?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
How are they? Do they disconnect you after a certain amount of idle time? Anything bad about them? Anyone providing better service?

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
I switched to them after I nuked my old ISP that couldn't figure out how to get me online and had no call in tech support. If I can't get online with you, how am I supposed to send you emails? grr.
But earthlink is nice. I have a 3com 56k LAN modem that I have hooked up to them. I wasn't sure (neither were they) that it would work for them but they gave me a free month to play and try to get it to work. They've been nice. Do not install their software though. It took a couple days to finally track the last of the stuff down and nuke it from my laptop. I only wanted the dialer program so I didn't have reams of phone numbers sticking out my rear. I do however find myself using AOL out on the road more than my Earthlink account.
Gaming is usually stable. They did have a DNS problem a few months ago.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I used earthlink.. they have never signed of off for being idle..

They are I think one of the best Nationwide dial up providers..

other than that.. get small local ones that aren't whored out...

Earthlink has rocked .. throughout my dialup career and if I lost my cable.. I'd most likely go back to earthlink..

they have a promo where you can get 60 days for 1 buck.. Let me know if you want the code..

I'll give it to you.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Earthlink is pretty good if you ask me, I don't think you will get disconnected often.

Goldfish

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2001
I used their dialup before I switched to DSL. It was very reliable, I got about 6k most of the time, which is real good for 56k.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
I've got Earthlink for when I travel and I've never had a problem with them. never been disconnected for idle time, either.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Definitely one of the better ISPS out there. However, for some reason I wasn't able to play any SC/BW games on Battle.net because of latency problems. On the same computer/modem and phoneline I switched to my friend's Rutgers account and had no problems.

Other than that, they are a great company.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Cool. I think I'll do it. Too far out for DSL, and cable doesn't go by my house (go figure), so dial-up is my only real choice. Did I hear of some promotion of a free digital camera (crappy, but free nonetheless)? I haven't seen anything on their website about it though.

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Its a nice national ISP... you will get more lag on it than a local ISP though.

The free camera is a POS, better to go with some sort of deal where they give you a certain amount of months for say 9.95 and then it goes to 19.95. They run multiple deals every month, but dont advertise them.

JLindo

Feb 18, 2001
For the most part I like them. Don't count on them for customer support though. I know more than most of the techs there already, so they can't usually be of much "support". Other than that and the ocassional spammer, I like Earthlink good enough. Besides which, for $17.95 a month (a deal through Sams Club), I won't complain.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
They kick you off if you're idle for too long. I've had Earthlink for a year already and they've always kicked me off if I was idle for awhile. The only way to stop it is to nuke the control manager file. :(

Earthlink is good though. Constant speeds and decent downloads at around 5k. :)

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000

<< They kick you off if you're idle for too long. I've had Earthlink for a year already and they've always kicked me off if I was idle for awhile. The only way to stop it is to nuke the control manager file. :( >>

Wouldn't ping X.com -t be easier?

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Most of the connection quality will depend on the lines in your area. If your phone company has crappy lines epect slower speeds and more bumps.

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
They don't kick you off for being idle, atleast not me. Also a word of warning they don't really like you to leave it connected for 24 hours or longer. They will send you an email warning. I got a warning a long time ago, but still do it(for those long ass downloads, which suck on dialup), and never heard back from them so who knows.