Earth to Dean: The Soviet Union no longer exists

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Wow - if this represents the best the Demo's can dish out, be scared, be very scared. I don't know if we need to have a president leading our country and still thinking the Soviet Union exists.........

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000254.asp

" DEAN: Iran is a more complex problem because the problem support as clearly verifiable as it is in North Korea. Also, we have less-fewer levers much the key, I believe, to Iran is pressure through the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union is supplying much of the equipment that Iran, I believe, most likely is using to set itself along the path of developing nuclear weapons. We need to use that leverage with the Soviet Union and it may require us to buying the equipment the Soviet Union was ultimately going to sell to Iran to prevent Iran from them developing nuclear weapons. That is also a country that must not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons much the key to all this is foresight. Let?s act now so we don?t have to have a confrontation which may result in force, which would be very disastrous in the case of North Korea and might be disastrous in the case of Iran."

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Hmm . . . as opposed to current President that doesn't know anything beyond what he's told?

AH, but what you're implying is your own speculation, there's proof for Dean. Still, your comment does not justify why this clown should be in office (well, at least I hope if doesn't).

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Yeah, I sawy that on Hardball. Made me yell at the screen RUSSIA!!!!! He obviously meant Russia though.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
To be fair it is no lamer than constantly bashing Bush for stupid slips of the tongue.

Africa is a country anyone?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
This is so lame...

Earth to bush: Burma no longer exists It's called myanmar.

Ah, but a simple recent name change is much different from talking about a country, which broke apart over 10 years ago and no longer exists, as if it was a current entity.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
AH, but what you're implying is your own speculation, there's proof for Dean. Still, your comment does not justify why this clown should be in office (well, at least I hope if doesn't).
Actually, I'm not speculating. The President has made it clear that he delegates and relies on others to inform him of even basic facts. Maybe Dean is an idiot or maybe he made a slip of the tongue or dozing neurons or hung over . . . who knows. But I doubt Dean has ever endorsed being intentionally uninformed or lacking intellectual curiosity. By definition, that type of person should never be in a position to make substantitive decisions.

To be fair it is no lamer than constantly bashing Bush for stupid slips of the tongue.
There's a huge difference between a slip of the tongue and being uninformed. When Bush lacks detail and decides to ad lib . . . that's ignorance talking. Note I did not call it stupid. Stupid implies a lack of mental capacity for reasoned thought. I'm not convinced he has an abundance of that either but I will give him the benefit of a doubt.

By all accounts the "voluntary" emissions control policies, Bush instituted in TX did not reduce pollution in the state. But due to the philosophical preference for "industry-sponsored" solutions Bush has pursued such policies at the national level as well. Technically, that counts as stupid . . . unless of course he wasn't aware that pollution has not abated in TX . . . in that case . . . Bush is just ignorant. Neither trait is defensible in elected leadership.

I could dissect No Child Left Behind and Medicare reform as well. I'm willing to give Dean enough rope to hang himself . . . but Bush has been swinging in the wind for years now.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Africa is a country anyone?

Don't even start on Africa, my father used to work for a French shipping company(Boats). Well he would tell me stories of how bad it is for those people over there in Senegal and near the Congo region. It made him really depressed he told me: 1. Most impoverished people were Muslim, just like him 2. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is being done to help those people (from their own gov't and foreign aid). This was during the 80's, and I'm positive nothing much has changed now...

Please don't mention the "big" help with LIVE AID and Bill Gates sending money for flu shots. Sure its a start, but real economic, social help must be given to that continent. We're more worried about another CAPITALISTIC country like IRAN developing weapons (when they could use it produce electric power)

US history is filled more with dehumanization of people, rather than to unionize a species to really help live cooperatively with one another. :(

Why is America always watching it's back, all the while glrofy how good their history is?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
A good rant for the most part. I agree wholeheartedly about Africa and what you said about it. They not only need help, they need lasting help. Instead of donating supplies or medicines, we need to also focus on real reform in those nations. The "teach a man to fish..." saying applies here.
Iran is another matter. I have no problem with them developing a civilian nuclear power program. It is their right. So long as it can be verified by the agreements they signed, then more power to them.
As per your comments about America, KGB, those I have qualms with. It is true that our history is less than pearly white. Anyone that does not agree with that is ignorant and really needs to brush up on their history. However, what you have said here can apply to just about any nation. America has done better than most in this regard even though we have done some really bad things. Many focus on what we have done wrong instead of right in order to demonize us compared to the rest of the world, which is just as guilty, if not more than we are in some cases. Although it is necessary to know about the mistakes of the past and learn from them, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't glorify what is right. For it is what we do right that we should try to make even better. I do not say this because I am some flagwaving patriot/fanatic of America. But credit is needed where it is due is all I say.
As per Howard Dean, I although I am not a fan of either him or Bush, I do find what he said humerous. If I was watching that i probably would ahve threw an empty coke can at the screen and screamed "RUSSIA...ITS RUSSIA, DANGIT!!" at the screen similar to what tnitsuj did. Its kind of shocking how anyone would refer to Russia as the USSR anymore. There is a big difference not only in government, but in actual area. That makes me kind of weary about Dean and his foreign policy knowledge, but hey, it was a good laugh reading that.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Earth to Bush: Iraq WMD's no longer exist.
Hey, Dean misspoke, Bush started a war, but rightwingers got their panties in a twist over Dean.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I don't see Africa becoming a stable continent in a very long time. The continent just does not have the backing for it. The nations formed on the continent did not get to decide their borders, the governments are very corrupt(mostly) and the list goes on about how screwed up Africa is right now.

Iran, on the other hand, has the issue of the Guardian Council and the Supreme Leader. They kill whatever reforms Khatami is trying to implement. Until the Council and Supreme leader are either abolished or replaced with more liberal clerics, that government will stay quite like it is.

As far as Dean is concerned; he probably doesn't even remember his own name with all the sucking up he is doing.(No, I'm not a republican/neocon, I just can't stand Dean)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If Dean was sucking up, he would not be for raising taxes to balance the budget. If he wanted to suck up he would be offering low taxes and huge government spending like Dubya.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
This is so lame...

Earth to bush: Burma no longer exists It's called myanmar.

As far as I know many (including the US) do not recognise "Myanmar". This is because they do not wish to give relevance to the oppressive military regime that have named it so.

Officially, for most of the world as far as I can tell, it's still known as Burma.

From the CIA world factbook:

since 1989 the military authorities in Burma have promoted the name Myanmar as a conventional name for their state; this decision was not approved by any sitting legislature in Burma, and the US Government did not adopt the name, which is a derivative of the Burmese short-form name Myanma Naingngandaw.

So the President is right on that one.

Cheers,

Andy

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Everyone makes mistakes. Get over it.

Agreed. But still, Mr. Dean, please take your brain out of "park" before driving your mouth next time.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
and during the same interview, dean said

We?re spending a lot of money in Iraq. We?re spending money building tactical battlefield nuclear weapons, which are never going to be helpful fighting terrorism. And we?re not spending money on human intelligence and on cyber-intelligence and on cargo inspection and on buying the enriched uranium stocks of the former Soviet Union. If that stuff gets in terrorist hands, we have a major national security problem.

He friggen knows its the former Soviet Union!! Lay off the guy and while you're at it give your friend Bush a map and a dictionary. Hes done much worse.