Earphones for running, recommendations please

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I use my phone as an MP3 player while I'm running (standard 3.5mm headphone jack).

My first / main set of (wired) earphones that I've had for many years work fine and for not-running situations they have a good fit in my ear (with the little foam covers) and their sound quality is nothing to complain about (they came with a Creative Labs MP3 player). However when running they steadily lose their grip and I have to tangle with the cable / earphone while running to push them back in.

As my wife has gone through more smartphones than I have, we had some spare sets of earphones. First up was a set of Sony earphones that are inserted deeper into the ear. Unfortunately the sound quality was utter crap (no bass at all, odd considering Sony).

The next set was from my wife's current Nokia phone, again the deeper in-ear type but I got a sound effect from them that was along the lines of a deep-water sound of covering one's ears, to the point of it drowning out the intended sound. They did however stay put when running.

I've gone back to my first set for now.

I realise this is a tricky topic because I'm pretty sure ear shapes are different and therefore what fits one person doesn't fit another. Admittedly I'm also worried about the idea of buying earphones only to find that they don't fit properly. - edit - I think I recall seeing in-ear phones with removable and variable-size attachments in order to get the best fit. Is this a thing?

Also, I don't really want "wireless" earphones because I don't want to add to landfills with disposable tech once the batteries are knackered.

Last edited: