Earing - right or left ear?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
The girlf says it's the left for straights...

Though I'd never get one in either ear...

Also, it doesn't matter if you're gay or not...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<<

<< I have my left ear pierced, got it done three years ago.

My parents hit the ceiling.

Oops.

:D

Viper GTS
>>

Was that intentional?
>>

Was it intentional to piss them off? Mmm, not really. I knew they wouldn't like it, but I also knew they'd get over it.

The plan was I'd get it done, & then call my sister. She'd break the news to them before I got home, & by the time I got home they would be calmed down. Problem is she wasn't home when I called. :D So, I showed up with my ear pierced, with no warning. I got lectured on what a "shameful" thing it was.
rolleye.gif
I do have to give them this, though, they said they'd express their feelings once & then leave me alone about it, & they have. They haven't mentioned it negatively since. I think they're completely used to it, & finally understand the concept that it's just jewelry, it has no meaning or purpose.

It's not 1965 anymore.

Viper GTS

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000

<< I remember hearing that gay guys pierce their right ear, and straight guys have their left ear pierced. Is this true?! Someone else told me that this "rule" is an early 90's thing and now it really doesn't matter. I'm asking because I may get my ear pierced.

>>

the rule dates to at least the early 70's (but i can't remember which is which).

so, just go to a gay bar & see what they do, then do the opposite or the same, depending on your pref.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If you get your right ear pierced, I expect you to wear vinyl pants and a fleece turtle neck and go wandering through the Pottery Barn.

nik

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<< If you get your right ear pierced, I expect you to wear vinyl pants and a fleece turtle neck and go wandering through the Pottery Barn. >>

Oh, puh-leeze. Fleece doesn't go with vinyl, honey!

j/k ;)

*steve <--- not gay.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If you have to be a blind follower to the crowd, then pierce your ears. Or you gan be a real man and tell everyone that you look good enough without wearing any earrings.

Both look better than just one - if you cannot muster enough guts to go bare.