EA to publish Bioware's Dragon Age in FY09

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
FS Link

During Electronic Arts's financial conference call with analysts following the release of their latest financial numbers, company execs officially revealed that they will be publishing the long-in-development BioWare developed fantasy RPG Dragon Age. The game, first revealed by BioWare nearly four years ago at E3, has been mostly under a code of silence since its announcement with the last major preview published by the Games for Windows magazine over a year ago. The game is now slated to be published by EA in its fiscal 2009 year which begins on April 1.

Here's hoping EA doesn't jack it up. Bioware's been working on it for 4 years, so hopefully, it'll be largely immune to EA's influence.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Wow, that just sucks. Still, it's better than EA canceling the damned thing, or rushing it out before it really should come out. Who knows?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Still a PC exclusive?

At this point in development (when EA completed the Bioware purchase not long ago), it would probably be too much trouble for EA to "re envision" the game into another action RPG.

Best case, we get a buggy game that is incredibly awesome.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

If EA has a lick of sense in their heads (not counting on it), they'll leave BioWare the fuck alone to do what they want, much like Vivendi did/does with Blizzard. BioWare's track record speaks for itself.

In other news, this game better have some serious juice - God knows we've been waiting on it long enough, and there's a lot of rarely-discussed anticipation simmering beneath the surface for the spiritual sequel to Neverwinter Nights.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Wait, does FY2009 mean "some time between this April and next" or "some time between next April and the one after"?

Because I think it's the former, and that's a good thing.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ja1484

In other news, this game better have some serious juice - God knows we've been waiting on it long enough, and there's a lot of rarely-discussed anticipation simmering beneath the surface for the spiritual sequel to Neverwinter Nights.

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2, not NWN.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Isn't it kind of a "duh" that they would publish it? They do own Bioware now. I'd imagine they'll publish every Bioware game now.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Fair enough. The difference is minor to my mind - let's just say they have another highly anticipated RPG on the way.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Beev
Isn't it kind of a "duh" that they would publish it? They do own Bioware now. I'd imagine they'll publish every Bioware game now.

They might have contracts with Microsoft for the xbox titles, IIRC Microsoft was their publisher for those games.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Fair enough. The difference is minor to my mind - let's just say they have another highly anticipated RPG on the way.

Not to nitpick, but the difference between BG and NWN is huge even though they are both pretty solid RPGs. :) I'm pumped for DA.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Not to nitpick, but the difference between BG and NWN is huge even though they are both pretty solid RPGs. :) I'm pumped for DA.
Actually, they said spiritual successor to BOTH BG2 and NWN.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
What type of engine are they using for this? NWN2 engine? Or something more 3D/Over the shoulder (KOTOR)?
This is not using the D&D license/rule set, right?
Can't wait.

thanks.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
The only thing I want to know is 1) Will EA allow BioWare time to finish their product and 2) can they keep their hands off of it?

Yeah, I know they own the company now and EA's track record on aquisitions is dismal.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: KevinC
What type of engine are they using for this? NWN2 engine? Or something more 3D/Over the shoulder (KOTOR)?
This is not using the D&D license/rule set, right?
Can't wait.

thanks.

They are using a new engine, the Dragon Age engine. This is not a D&D product, the IP belongs to Electronic Arts.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
It's the fiscal year of 2009, which means April 1 2008 and beyond.