EA Sued

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004
Lazy much? Nondescriptive thread title, no description of link, no summary of article, and no comments. Great thread.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I don't think i have ever heard a single positive thing about ea. There facilities are pretty epic though, i went for an interview and was pretty impressed by their vancouver facilities.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
College athletes are sueing both EA and the NCAA for using their likeness in games without consent.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Cliffs : College athletes suing EA for unauthorized use of their likeness in their video games.

I assume the schools get some money though, and since it's against the rules to pay the college athletes... they are SOL.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
Sueing for "$1 billion, which equals 25 percent of its annual revenue."

Holy shit I hope EA loses. Im still mad at them for taking down Motor City Online.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
"Well boys, this has been real educational and all, but now let's part with that old EA Sports sayin': "Get the f--k out of my buildin'!" :D

And they're still not as bad/evil as Ubisoft. :p

I think the athletes have a case though. If it's a first amendment thing, try putting Tom Cruise's likeness on a game without his consent and see what happens.

Dekasa

Mar 25, 2010
Good. EA deserves everything they get, actually, they only deserve the bad stuff they get. And it's not against the rules for college athletes to make money from their likeness, just against the rules for colleges to actually give them money/cars/etc. Just free rides, good grades, the best housing, that kinda stuff.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
same here. EA has done nothing but stifle innovation and had a major involvement in the declining quality of pc games over the years.

They've used such predatory practices you'd swear they wouldn't think twice about stealing candy from a baby. At least if these guys win the settlement it will force them to think harder about staying within the letter of the law if nothing else.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Players wont get shit.

EA has a contract with the NCAA to use the teams and likenesses. NCAA players cant get paid, if they dont like it, they can blame the NCAA.

Something similar happened before when NCAA players tried to sue trading card manufacturers for using their pictures on sports cards. They lost.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Sueing for "$1 billion, which equals 25 percent of its annual revenue."

Holy shit I hope EA loses. Im still mad at them for taking down Motor City Online.

You and me, brother. After all these years I thought I was the only one...

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure that eventually some random Joe guy at a McDonald's burning his tongue on hot coffee will sue EA for it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I just cant forget that they cancelled DK3 for a fking harry potter game.... :rolleyes: Its like EA actively sought out my favorite franchises and nuked them one at a time. Harry potter.... cmon... :(

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
EA is like a parasite to the gaming industry. I do not think a lawsuit is going to change anything.

If the players win, good for them.

Westwood studios had a great franchise with command & conquer, that was until EA bought it and destroyed the C&C universe. I do not know how you crash and burn a great game like C&C, but EA did it.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I could see suing for use of their likeness, but I think calling it 'intellectual property' is really stretching it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Players wont get shit.

EA has a contract with the NCAA to use the teams and likenesses. NCAA players cant get paid, if they dont like it, they can blame the NCAA.

Something similar happened before when NCAA players tried to sue trading card manufacturers for using their pictures on sports cards. They lost.

Which brings up other issues. Involuntary servitude to an organization that doesnt pay you for starters.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
EA is like a parasite to the gaming industry. I do not think a lawsuit is going to change anything.

If the players win, good for them.

Westwood studios had a great franchise with command & conquer, that was until EA bought it and destroyed the C&C universe. I do not know how you crash and burn a great game like C&C, but EA did it.

:'(

They completely ignored the storyline.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
UPDATE: An EA official downplayed the estimate.

"We could lose billions more if a giant meteor hits the earth," said EA spokesman Jeff Brown. "We're not planning for either outcome."

:rolleyes:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
EA really makes me wonder. They had for a few years cleaned up their rep a lot more and were not seeing as the worst company in gaming when Kotic and Activision started all kinds of BS and they were now public enemy number 1. It was like, EA was pissed they lost being public enemy number 1 and have been working double time to get back into the position.

EA/Activision/Ubisoft all need to DIA.