EA = SecureRom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
The only reason this hasn't hit them yet is b/c avg person doesn't upgrade their computer 3x in one month and they have no clue one day game will just stop working after an upgrade. It will be interesting to see what happens in the long run though.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: hdeck
Never understood why so many gamers prefer not to be honest.
SecureRom is garbage security software that nobody wants to deal with.
SecureRom is effective.
EA makes some pretty fantastic games(if this weren't true people wouldn't be so angry).
The unskilled computer user WILL buy EA games and claim to boycott them.:D

Get real people.

ea doesn't make anything fantastic. they just buy stuff and publish it.

I know but my point is that people will buy the games. Good games will always sell copy protection or not.

What does EA make that is "fantastic".... seriously.....

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Maximilian
SecureRom is effective.
EA makes some pretty fantastic games(if this weren't true people wouldn't be so angry).

Get real people.

I know but my point is that people will buy the games. Good games will always sell copy protection or not.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL
You must be new to pc gaming. Welcome. :)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

latest battlefields have sucked, most notably 2142, sports games can't even be counted as games for PC, at least, the Sims is a casual title, and casual users are not applicable here because they don't even know what SecuRom is, and wrahammer isn't universally popular.

fail

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: videogames101
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

latest battlefields have sucked, most notably 2142, sports games can't even be counted as games for PC, at least, the Sims is a casual title, and casual users are not applicable here because they don't even know what SecuRom is, and wrahammer isn't universally popular.

fail

Wow! You have proven me wrong in the face of all evidence! Truly the searing logic of your fiery intellect will prove to be prophetic in the face of EA's declining profits and demise!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

fail

Wow! You have proven me wrong in the face of all evidence! Truly the searing logic of your fiery intellect will prove to be prophetic in the face of EA's declining profits and demise!

Thanks for understanding, although your sarcasm may be obvious, in reality, EA is on a slippery slope which will eventually lead to their demise.

(and next time, try actually putting forth evidence before claiming it supports your theory...)

Alex C

Jul 7, 2008
Amazon disabled the user reviews for Spore, which is pretty bad considering most casual gamers don't know a thing about SecuRom, and probably wouldn't have heard about it any other way.

Edit: They re-enabled it after deleting all the old reviews.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

fail

Thanks for understanding, although your sarcasm may be obvious, in reality, EA is on a slippery slope which will eventually lead to their demise.

(and next time, try actually putting forth evidence before claiming it supports your theory...)

Funny how people think their words erase fact. Millions of sales can't be wrong. I play BF and my wife plays the sims. They both made a good deal of cash and are very popular. What other facts are needed?
As for EA going down the tubes...i really don't give a shit.
It's not like I give a damn about EA I'm just sick and tired of all the crybabies. If you don't like the drm then download a cracked version but stop your lying. We all know you're going to buy EA games nomatter how much you complain.:laugh:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
PC gamers boycotting will not lead to EA's demise, the only thing I could possibly see them doing is dropping PC gaming all together and just focusing on console games. I hate to say this, but aside from MMOs, we may already be headed that way. I for one hope that does not happen, because I like to have as many games as possible come out for the PC.

KT

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

fail

Funny how people think their words erase fact. Millions of sales can't be wrong. I play BF and my wife plays the sims. They both made a good deal of cash and are very popular. What other facts are needed?
It's not like I give a damn about EA I'm just sick and tired of all the crybabies. If you don't like the drm then download a cracked version but stop your lying. We all know you're going to buy EA games nomatter how much you complain.:laugh:

Sales are one thing, but sales have nothing to do with the quality of a game, go check out metacritic.com

sales != quality

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

fail

Sales are one thing, but sales have nothing to do with the quality of a game, go check out metacritic.com

sales != quality

Well of all the game I listed I played Tiger woods, Battlefield2 and Sims 2 and as a long time pc gamer I can say that these are all fantastic games.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

fail

sales != quality

Well of all the game I listed I played Tiger woods, Battlefield2 and Sims 2 and as a long time pc gamer I can say that these are all fantastic games.

I loved BF2, notice how i said recent BF games sucked...

and the other 2 are paled in comparison to a game like Half-Life 2, but The Sims has more sales, case and point, sales != quality.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s) sucked since BF2
The Sims Got old after the second expansion pack
Warhammer I'd rather play the tabletop game
Tiger Woods Golf? Seriously?
NCAA football Football games have sucked since Sega got out of the console biz
Madden NFL Why did you suggest another football game series? Are you that low on 'good' games?

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
I understand the complaints from people who have a gaming comp and no internet and there should be an option for those people, although unlikely.

However, before STEAM I hardly ever bought computer games mostly got copies from friends and the like. After STEAM I have bought a new game every 2months and quite happy with the service they provide.

If steam got with every PC Game manufacturer and came up with a solution (something along the lines of having 5mb worth of the game stored on an internet server, and the user had to download that 5mb each time they launched the game to play)

This doesn't resolve the issue of the gamers with no internet. But shouldn't those people be console gamers anyhow? We'll see how this pans out. There are much greater issues the world is facing at this time.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
steam doesn't solve anything cause you can't share or resell games

steam is good, yes, if you're the only one playing it...

what if my wife wants to play tf2 or something, and I want to play cs:s? we can't without 2 accounts, which is ridiculous

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: irishScott
If I like a game, I will buy it. Period. If in the future there is enough support to effectively boycott EA I'll gladly join in, however, doing so now would do nothing productive.

Boycotting SecuROM now and voicing your opinion will allow others to realize what is going on and will in turn help to effectively boycott SecuROM later. Waiting to join in will do nothing but delay that.

If you want a game and don't mind the DRM then by all means buy it. But if you want to make a difference protesting SecuROM you need to do that with your wallet. Buying a game and then boycotting the DRM later when it's more convenient is like the people who voted for Bush and then started trash talking him later when it was more popular to do so.

I have decided not to buy any EA game period until they get rid of this latest SecuROM variation. If that never happens there are still plenty of good games out there without SecuROM. If I miss out on a game I really wanted, then so be it. Maybe it will force me too look more towards the smaller developers and focus less on all these hyped blockbuster titles that usually end up sucking anyway.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
SecureRom is effective.

Get real people.

Battlefied(s)
The Sims
Warhammer
Tiger Woods
NCAA football
Madden NFL

Battlefied(s) - Sucks since BF2, TF2/COD4 are much better online shooters
The Sims - Idea and first one made by MAXIS, the second one by maxis under EA is just a 3d version of the first game, poor example
Warhammer - Warhammer what?? Only worthwhile warhammer thing is DoW by RELIC
Tiger Woods - boring
NCAA football - boring
Madden NFL - boring

You must be new to quality games Welcome. :)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
My issue is with the limited number of activations... I mean c'mon a game like Crysis (an EA game) pretty much required you to upgrade. So, you install the game when you get it, realize your rig can't play it, get a new rig, install the game again, and there go two of your three activations!!! That's BS.

I've actually had the activation limit kick in for NWN2, which I bought via Direct2Drive. They hooked me up with another activation, but it took like 24 hrs for them to respond to the ticket I submitted. Microsoft does something similar with Vista activations, but you can call them 24hrs a day and get activated in about 10mins. It's a pain, yes, but at least you can re-activate relatively easily.

I previously wanted to contact EA customer service (LOL, right?) after I purchased Hellgate London from them in digital format... Only after you pay (full price) for the game do they mention that you can pay extra for them to keep a copy of the game available for download to you for a year, otherwise it's 90 days. Furthermore, if you uninstall the EA Downloader, it wipes the downloaded files from your HD. The only way to keep a backup is to copy the downloaded files to a different location then from where you downloaded them to, which means you need two copies of the game on your HD just to have a backup of the game you paid for. So, I wanted to cancel my order and just buy the game in a store. Long story short, they don't have a Customer Service 800 number (at least not one I could find)...

The way I see it, if a company is going to to implement DRM with limited activation, they AT LEAST need to give you way to get extensions 24/7 or give you a couple of days "grace period" before requiring activation so people can at least install and play... I mean, we are talking about the paying customer base after all.

The annoying thing here is the cost shifting of piracy away from the manufacturer to the gamer. With MS' activation model, MS takes full responsibility of the cost to have call centers manned 24/7 and to provide an 800 for activation. Plus, you have a few days to activate Vista upon install if you upgrade your system. With EA, all the time and inconvenience belongs to you while you wait for them to (hopefully) unlock the games you paid for just because you got a new computer...

edit: you know it's a sad day when you can use MS as the example of how something should be done the right way... :(

edit 2: After a bit of googling, found EA's 1-800 number: (800) 959-7331... Ouch, just called it... opting for "customer support" gives you the option to leave a VM...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If I like a game, I will buy it. Period. If in the future there is enough support to effectively boycott EA I'll gladly join in, however, doing so now would do nothing productive.

Right now everyone on internet forums screaming OMG SECUROM BOYCOTT!!!1 is about as effective as the DRM in question.

:thumbsup: I bought the PC Mass Effect despite the DRM because it runs much better on a good PC than on the 360. I figure the first 3 activations will last 4-6 years before I have to call EA support.

As a big plus, I can play without the DVD disc. Very nice since I'm often juggling several games at once and swapping discs is a pain.

Now that I finally installed Steam for Orange Box, digital downloads also seem more appealing.

DRM may be evil, but it currently makes business sense to the publishers so I'll live with it. Especially if they offer positive features like running without a disc.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Originally posted by: mindcycle

Boycotting SecuROM now and voicing your opinion will allow others to realize what is going on and will in turn help to effectively boycott SecuROM later. Waiting to join in will do nothing but delay that.

If you want a game and don't mind the DRM then by all means buy it. But if you want to make a difference protesting SecuROM you need to do that with your wallet. Buying a game and then boycotting the DRM later when it's more convenient is like the people who voted for Bush and then started trash talking him later when it was more popular to do so.

I have decided not to buy any EA game period until they get rid of this latest SecuROM variation. If that never happens there are still plenty of good games out there without SecuROM. If I miss out on a game I really wanted, then so be it. Maybe it will force me too look more towards the smaller developers and focus less on all these hyped blockbuster titles that usually end up sucking anyway.

Another way to look at this is that maybe this is a good for the smaller and Indie developers.

Between all the DRM crap and unimaginative games that have been coming out, I find that I've actually been patronizing these smaller developers.

Usually it's not only cheaper, but more interesting as well.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
SecureRom is effective.

LOL! The game was cracked a week before it even came out. SecuROM is not effective against piracy.

Effective means it increased sales among those who would have paid for it, not that it stopped 100% of infringement.

I have no idea whether it is effective in that sense, but EA seems to think so.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
:thumbsup: I bought the PC Mass Effect despite the DRM because it runs much better on a good PC than on the 360. I figure the first 3 activations will last 4-6 years before I have to call EA support.

As a big plus, I can play without the DVD disc. Very nice since I'm often juggling several games at once and swapping discs is a pain.

Now that I finally installed Steam for Orange Box, digital downloads also seem more appealing.

DRM may be evil, but it currently makes business sense to the publishers so I'll live with it. Especially if they offer positive features like running without a disc.

I've already installed Mass Effect twice on different hardware, so my time frame looks to be a little shorter than yours. Sure, I'm probably not typical of the average PC user or even the average gamer in my hardware change frequency, but who the hell is EA to decide how often I can upgrade my hardware?

Besides, you actually knew about the DRM, so you could make an informed choice. I don't think you should have research this kind of crap before buying a game... If they made it clear that you were only getting three activations on the package, at least the average consumer could make the same informed choice you did.

Having to put the DVD into the drive won't seem so cumbersome anymore once your limits kick in and you then get the privilege of waiting 24 hours or more for some EA peon to judge you as a criminal or not.

I agree with you about Steam. I like it, and I've never had a problem with DRM on Steam. It's EA that annoys me.