EA Games Now On Steam **Confirmed NO DRM**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
I have no problems buying anything else from other stores. Bought 2Gb of RAM a while ago, for example. Also it's 10:23 PM in Sweden. Guess I could call tomorrow. I hope the special offer is still on.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
You coulda had a bunch of pizzas for those $35.

Think about those juicy pizzas that could be sitting on your table right now. Mozzarella, peperoni, I can already feel the smell.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Opened thread, read thread, opened Steam, bought Stalker. Elapsed time around 2 minutes. Wow, I love Steam.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Ess Tee Ayy Ell Kay Eee Are has been purchased.

I am... impressed that EA would embrace online distribution. Install limits on Steam is troubling, however. The WHOLE POINT of Steam is to have access to your games anywhere, on any computer that has internets.

Edit: I am happy they seem to be cheaper than retail, too. Crysis is still $50 at the B&Ms around here.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Raduque
Ess Tee Ayy Ell Kay Eee Are has been purchased.

I am... impressed that EA would embrace online distribution. Install limits on Steam is troubling, however. The WHOLE POINT of Steam is to have access to your games anywhere, on any computer that has internets.

Edit: I am happy they seem to be cheaper than retail, too. Crysis is still $50 at the B&Ms around here.
Um, EA has their own digital distribution system, plus their games were already available (in the UK at least) on Direct2Drive.
The new part is using Steam instead of one of the other services, and removing SecuROM from the games that are on Steam.

Phew

May 19, 2004
Bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R., if I try to change the resolution from the default of 1024x768, it crashes to desktop with the following error:

XR_3DA.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\bin\xrRender_R1.dll" at 0023:04789290

32-bit Compatibility mode doesn't help. I have latest video drivers, and presumably steam keeps the game up to date.

Looks like that might have been $5 down the toilet.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Phew
Bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R., if I try to change the resolution from the default of 1024x768, it crashes to desktop with the following error:

XR_3DA.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\bin\xrRender_R1.dll" at 0023:04789290

32-bit Compatibility mode doesn't help. I have latest video drivers, and presumably steam keeps the game up to date.

Looks like that might have been $5 down the toilet.

Maybe it's a video driver issue. I'm having no problems running it on Vista64. Try reinstalling drivers and possibly reinstalling Steam.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
Finally got Steam to accept my credit card. Too bad it's 02:37 AM here and I need sleep. :(

Oh well, how do I get and install that Oblivion Lost addon for the Steam version of Stalker? It's supposed to be good.

Pollock

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2004
I figured Stalker can't be all that bad at all for $5, so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the heads-up.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Emultra
I have no problems buying anything else from other stores. Bought 2Gb of RAM a while ago, for example. Also it's 10:23 PM in Sweden. Guess I could call tomorrow. I hope the special offer is still on.

Im having the same prob, i believe its cause the sale is only for North american customers (US, Canada, Mexico). Your IP address is from sweden so Steam rejects it. direct2drive.com doesnt care as much, as long as u have a north american CC you're good.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
I managed to buy it. The phone number was misstyped (xxx xxxxxx instead of xxx-xxxxxx) and that caused the credit card info to be refused.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
A weekend sale on Mass Effect would be nice. (I'm sure it will happen right after I buy it.)

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
I know the articles linked confirm no DRM but looking at the page for http://store.steampowered.com/app/17330/]Crysis Warhead[/url] It states that the game has SecuROM and the 5 machine activation limit.
Does anyone know if this is a typo/oversight? Can someone here who purchased the game through Steam confirm if the machine activation limit and/or the SecuROM DRM is present?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Shortly after the release of Spore, EA released Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 will a slightly toned down form of SecuROM. Instead of 3 installs, players would be given 5. A number of gamers, however, were not placated.

Well crap. I was thinking about buying RA3 if it was DRM free, guess its back on the boycott list.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
So are there still install limits? Because those are by far the biggest horseshit pile that keeps me from getting anywhere near most of these games.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Judging by this article linked by SunnyD earlier, I'd say there are no install limits since Steam is the only DRM attached (and doesn't include install limits)