EA for Sale

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
For some reason, I'm certain this would backfire.

EA's management meshed in with Valve's?

No, thank you.

I don't understand why valve would buy them anyway. What do they have that Valve would even want? All the EA management cruft is useless, origin is an also ran duplicate. Valve isn't even squeezing all the value it could out of its own game IP so I don't think they need more of those. Even if they did want the IP it'd make more sense to pick if off the bankrupt corpse or doing a licensing deal with whoever gobbles it up.

I don't know why people want Valve to buy them either. Buying EA is more likely to financially cripple Valve than it is to fix EA.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
On another occasion (this was a several years ago) a steam update failed and I was locked out of my account nearly 3 weeks.

It took you three weeks to re-install? You should stay far away from computers.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Valve isn't publicly traded, how do you know what their net worth is?

Newell owns just over half of Valve presumably, his net worth is estimated at about 1.5B. Valve is worth about 3B from that estimate. EA is worth about 4.3B at the moment, but is also generally considered undervalued; at the tentative asking price of $20 per share that works out to just under 6.4B.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Couple of crazy options

1. SUN buys them. That way all the games will be Java = multiplatform. Maybe I can finally play some decent games on Linux and get rid of Windows at home.

2. Google. They seem to have the cloud experience. Perhaps a challenge to Steam/Valve. They have already mastered they spying part. They can sell the gamers data to marketers.

Just think that was after only 1 beer too.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Couple of crazy options

1. SUN buys them. That way all the games will be Java = multiplatform. Maybe I can finally play some decent games on Linux and get rid of Windows at home.

2. Google. They seem to have the cloud experience. Perhaps a challenge to Steam/Valve. They have already mastered they spying part. They can sell the gamers data to marketers.

Just think that was after only 1 beer too.

Knowing our luck it will be MS and they'll give all the executives bonuses for running more IPs into the ground.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I for one am one of the people who hates EA for almost everything non-game related, but I have to admit they have some of the best titles under their name. (BF3, dead space, medal of honor, crysis, sim city/sims, mass effect, need for speed, dragon age, plants vs zombies, and a few really good sports games, NHL in particular)

You could make a case that games by EA are the best around, but are ruined by EA's reputation, and then stupid bullshit that they do. Do a swap of valves and EA's games, and youd probably hear the same complaints from gamers. "I dont care if half life 3 is awesome, ill never give EA another dollar."

My only hope is that a company who knows what theyre doing buys EA. Best case scenario is Valve buys EA, and gets rid of goddamn origin for good. Maybe they eveb delay a few upcoming titles that arent finished products, or just suck, and redo them to something that people will buy and enjoy, as opposed to buy and complain how bad or how rushed dead space 3 is, or how they just put out some game to make money.

That's exactly it, "they have some of the best titles under their name". They bought them, they muscled their way in. Their true in house stuff never hit big. Best EA games were coming anyway, what EA did most of the time was to throw money (since they lack everything else) at projects they deemed profitable. This entire time, EA pretty much ran a Kickstarter but with the funding you also get a hostile takeover and meddling with the IP because it now has the EA logo on it. I would wager that only would we have their games anyway, I think they would have been better.

Other publisher deserve lots of criticism too but at least they get some respect for their creativity. It's easy to dunk if you are 8ft tall but EA is melting rapidly.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Providence Equity Partners, huh. They invested in the company I work for - software company for healthcare claims (primarily). Apparently they also are majority shareholders in ZeniMax Media who own Bethesda, id, Arkane, Tango Gameworks, and a newer studio called MachineGames.

Last edited: