EA copy protection taken to new heights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Jax Omen
It *IS* a single-player game. The gameworld is populated with other players creations, though.

That's what I meant.

If one stays off-line with Spore there won't be much to play with other than the out-of-the-box content and perhaps more later on with some patches or expansions. But the main "force" behind Spore is to share the content. If you (the "collective" you) have good imagination wouldn't you want to show it to the world? That's why playing Spore means that you should have a legal copy of it, or else there's not much to do with it, other than maybe having fun the first week or so.

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ToBYourself
While I'm not fond of the draconian type of copy-protection being employed (and yes, I do purchase StarDock titles -- Galactic Civ 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire -- to support them because they don't have copy protection), I do have another concern.

I don't respect EA, nor do I trust them. Come to think of it, there's really no reason to trust *ANY* developer or publisher.

In essence, by buying the game, you're *TRUSTING* them to keep the "check" servers running forever. Anytime they *CHOOSE* to turn them off, games will cease to work for those who play by the rules.

How many times do people run older (and newer) games that the developer or publisher is out of business?

Imagine if *EVERY* game you own ceases to work as soon as a studio goes out of business, gets bought, or ceases to support a product.

How happy would *YOU* be?

I understand MMO's and other on-line games, but we're discussing single-player games (or single-player sides of games) ceasing to work *JUST BECAUSE*.

I was really looking forward to Spore.

Unfortunately, in the wonderful rural South, our ISP's aren't all they are cracked up to be.....we frequently have outages.....I can see wanting to play something and it not allowing me to play because my ISP is having problems again.

/rant

They could release a patch that disables it when the servers go down. This copy protection is meant to slow down "day one" piracy, which is when games are at the most risk of being hurt by piracy.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Every time you want to play a game on Steam, it validates. So how is this much different?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Modeps
Every time you want to play a game on Steam, it validates. So how is this much different?

Agreed, I prefer this approach to the "CD Check," amusing when games have both online authentication that check for duplicate CD keys in use (like multiplayer games) AND a CD check.

Fortunately, they finally realized that there is no need for a CD check with online authentication.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Lithan
This is hilarious. It'll be cracked in a matter of hours after release.

This. I'm planning on getting Mass Effect and I'm going to crack it too. Assholes.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I just wish Spore was on Steam and published by someone else. I'm not a big fan of EA. :/

ToBYourself

Feb 7, 2007
Originally posted by: Nightmare225
They could release a patch that disables it when the servers go down. This copy protection is meant to slow down "day one" piracy, which is when games are at the most risk of being hurt by piracy.

But we're trusting them to do that, aren't we? In essence, hoping they do?

Will they really do that if they're in financial trouble?

I really do like that some studios have removed the copy protection in later patches. I do respect them greatly, but that's not the norm in the industry.

That remains to be seen......Steam is active....what happens if they decide to just stop (for example, they go bankrupt)?

I don't really think Steam is a good comparison for this argument (at least not yet), as they *DO* have trust in the community, and they *ARE* committed to being there on-line...that's (part of) their business model.

I don't mean to negate that very valid point, but Steam is still in business.

Relevant points would be developers and/or publishers that are no longer in business...that means almost ANY game they created would no longer work (exluding those that removed copy protection in a patch in the point metioned above by Nightmare225).

I still like games like Caesar III, Pharaoh, Descent 3, Railroad Tycoon III....there are many older games that I occasionally play because I like them....this protection scheme means I can no longer play them?

Games I (or anyone else) purchased?

I guess that statement brings up the argument of are you *purchasing* the game, or just a *temporary license* to run it? I want to stay away from that argument as I think the fiscal situation should change if you really *only* have a license to run it at their will (i.e. not purchasing a game outright, just paying to play it).

MMO's are a bit different because you're paying for the online experience.....imagine the backlash if Blizzard decided to shut off the WOW servers just because they introduce their new product and want people to buy that (stupid idea, but remotely possible).

Of course, in our generic computer industry, you can't rule out stupid ideas (imo Yahoo refusing Microsoft's offer?).

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
I wouldn't trust EA more than I trust Microsoft. Everyone who bought music from MS, has gotten the shaft. MSN Music Authentication Servers to Go Dark August 31

EA is notorious for not supporting software very long.

EA's about to make you their bitch.

Suck it down.

Edit: I checked their forums. You'll also only be able to activate the game three times.

Yeah, look how well they support(ed) all their Madden games.

They basically just dropped the older version, updated the roster, and told you to buy the new version. If you were lucky, they might even throw in a minor tweak . . . if you're lucky.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484
Originally posted by: Lithan
This is hilarious. It'll be cracked in a matter of hours after release.

I hope so, because I ain't buying Mass Effect until there's some way to disable this. Legal or not doesn't really matter to me. I'll buy a legit copy, always do, but I'm not going to be treated like a criminal for paying good money for a product.

And I'm with Quantum - this makes me want to pirate it just because.

The problem with buying Mass Effect is that you're ultimately supporting bad business practices like DRM.

The REAL solution is to not buy the PC version and send a letter to Bioware stating exactly why you won't be buying their game. That's my plan. I don't need their DRM-riddled software.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenoth
The thing about Spore is that there's little goal or fun playing it off-line. Similarly to a multi-player focused game like TF2 for example, who in their right mind would want to crack TF2 to play alone or only via servers dedicated for pirated copies with perhaps 20 people playing at night? I mean Spore is focused on user-content-creation and the sharing of that content throughout some nice network that EA will put up for it, it's a "family" sort of game.

I know I don't like EA very much, but Spore for me is certainly not a game to buy or pirate if all I want if play it off-line with whatever little features off-line will offer with it. That game is multi-player focused, and everybody is going to need a legic Key to play it on-line which means that cracking it won't bring the pirates anywhere worth it with that game, they'll need to buy it just like they'd need to buy TF2 and get a Steam account to play it "properly" and as intended with the on-line community.

As for Mass Effect, who cares? That game looks more boring than the latest Turok.

Your logic regarding spore is exactly why they don't need DRM bullshit in the first place. No one likes having someone looking over their shoulder, especially when it's unnecessary.

I was really looking forward to Mass Effect on the PC because Bioware RPGs are awesome and I don't own a 360. I won't be buying it now.

mcturkey

Oct 2, 2006
The truly amazing thing is that the recording industry, for all their ineptitude in regards to suing their customers into oblivion, has actually wised up in regards DRM. Why the hell can't other industries recognize DRM does nothing but anger the real, paying customers. Someone who is going to pirate your product is going to do it regardless. Unless you go with Steam (which the community trusts enough to be around for quite some time, and has proven fairly innocuous), don't waste my damn time with DRM.

EA abandons their games pretty quickly. Any other developer and I might not be so disgusted here, but unless expansion packs are released for this game, the auth servers will be gone within a year or two. This "only authenticate 3 times" crap proves I'll be cracking Spore at some point during my time with it.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
Why do they keep making more and more complicated anti-piracy protection even though these games get cracked instantly? Has there even been a game recently that hasn't been cracked within the first week of release?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Well, I just saved myself 100 bucks or so. I will definitely not purchase either title, if this is true, and I will take steps to write snail mail letters to corporate EA to inform hem of my decision. I am sick and tired of this crap in software getting the way of people actually using it.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: coreyb
Why do they keep making more and more complicated anti-piracy protection even though these games get cracked instantly? Has there even been a game recently that hasn't been cracked within the first week of release?

less popular games, yes. blockbuster titles that everyone wants? no way, they're cracked usually before they release, sometime right after they've gone gold.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Ugh, this pisses me off.

EDIT: So wait..what exactly happens if you stop playing the game for more than ten days?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Dumac
Ugh, this pisses me off.

EDIT: So wait..what exactly happens if you stop playing the game for more than ten days?

I would assume that the game would either A) Activate itself next time you load it, or B) Run a program in the system tray/notification area that will activate the product every 10 days regardless, provided an internet connection is available.

I guess in a way, I should thank EA. As they continue their quest to destroy PC gaming, I can look forward to saving tons of money. First, I no longer need to buy games at all, because 1) I know they will be of sub par quality, and 2) They will come so encumbered with DRM so as to be unplayable. Secondly, since the only thing holding me to the windows platform is the ability to play games, I can also cease purchasing copies of windows. Since Linux can do everything that I need my computer to do, aside from playing games, I can scratch those 300 dollar MS OS 'upgrades' from my budget as well.

And think of the time we'll save by not having to worry about playing games. You could devote your time to self improvement, include your job skills, continue/pursue a college education, work on those 6pk abs, train for a marathon, etc. You'll have a lot of free time available. :)

Silver lining people, always think positive. :)

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Dumac
Ugh, this pisses me off.

The next time you play SecuROM will connect to the servers and revalidate the game. As long as their servers are still working, and you're online, otherwise you won't be able to play.

pawnking

May 7, 2008
Something like this is going to be a minor irritant if that to pirates and a major inconvenience to paying customers. Dumb idea all way round.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I think it's a good way to do it, even though it will be cracked very fast.

1. How many of us don't have access to the internet for over 10 days? And how large a problem will it be if it every 5th day says "verifying activation code", code "ok", and then start the game as usually?

2. If it also include automatic updating it will help people not aware of patches.

3. No need of DVD in drive.

4. Is it annoyning when you run Steam apps?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Hilarious sentiments.

So now all we get on PC is console ports. Soon we won't even get those!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: biostud
I think it's a good way to do it, even though it will be cracked very fast.

1. How many of us don't have access to the internet for over 10 days? And how large a problem will it be if it every 5th day says "verifying activation code", code "ok", and then start the game as usually?

2. If it also include automatic updating it will help people not aware of patches.

3. No need of DVD in drive.

4. Is it annoyning when you run Steam apps?

you can run steam in offline mode. it doesn't appear that mass effect/spore will be so forgiving.

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: YEPP
Spore, Mass Effect PC to Require Online Validation Every Ten Days to Function

BioWare technical producer Derek French has said that the PC versions of both Mass Effect and Spore will make use of copy protection that will require online validation every ten days to continue working.

"After the first activation, SecuROM requires that [Mass Effect PC] re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned)," said French in a post on the BioWare forums.

If customers do not come online after ten days, the game will cease to function. "After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run," added French.

The check is run when users activate the game's executable file, with the first re-check coming within "5 days remaining in the 10 day window."

According to French, Maxis' Spore will also make use of the same scheme: "[Electronic Arts] is ready for us and getting ready for Spore, which will use the same system."

French also noted that the online requirement will be clearly labeled on the games' packaging.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52547

http://masseffect.bioware.com/...topic=628375&forum=125

What are your thoughts? I'm seriously put off for two games i was interested in buying. This is just too much, having to worry my internet not going down just to play a game. If this is the future of PC gaming, guess i'll just stick to consoles. PC gaming is expensive to keep up and now this extra hassle to deal with. Too intrusive too for my liking, i'm going to have to let EA know everytime i play their game in order to play a game.

Mass Effect will also have a 3 time activation limit for installation on different systems to boot according to French.

This part disturbs me far more than the 10-day activation scheme. I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this. What are they thinking? Do they want people to pirate the game?

If Spore also has this 3-time limit, I hope it goes down as a HUGE sales disappointment because of this.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Edit: I checked their forums. You'll also only be able to activate the game three times.

Excellent, three times. Anyone's prostate in need of a massage?

I'm plenty satisfied, myself.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Agreed, I prefer this approach to the "CD Check," amusing when games have both online authentication that check for duplicate CD keys in use (like multiplayer games) AND a CD check.

Fortunately, they finally realized that there is no need for a CD check with online authentication.

Its easier to attack EA because they're a big corporate giant instead of Valve who is a beloved "indie" company... oh wait, EA publishes Valve products for console systems. Scratch that.