News EA Access Launched on Steam

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks like EA is coming back to Steam.

Doesn't look like you can bring over your EA games to Steam (at least not yet) which is a stupid decision since I have a ton of games with no DLC on origin (thanks to their long running policy of no DLC sales) but might be inclined to pick up on steam if I didn't have to rebuy the whole thing.

Smarter move would have been to just bring everything back as a "Steam edition" with everything bundled into one package.

Regardless, good to see the industry scale back one launcher. Literally only had it for the Bioware games, but that studio has gone down the crapper and I haven't used Origin in years.

Jaegarjumi

Apr 16, 2020
Ah yes Electronic Arts my adversary has made a new move I see.

I have been against them ever since learning in early 2014 of their plans to shut down Superhero City, Age of Champions and Supreme Heroes which at the time were excellent games I enjoyed playing.

Sure I did work hard to prevent the shutdown by creating an online petition, rping and gaming against EA literally, and creating a page still ongoing on Facebook to protest their greedy policies. https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-stop-your-shutdown-of-superhero-city-and-age-of-champions

Thankfully last year one of the Creators of Superhero City named Nick Shapiro, aka Brainchef as old veterans of SHC still call him, released a sequel to Super Hero City on Facebook called Heroes Rising and I have supported it freely since he began working on the idea in 2014.

Down with the EA regime.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I just hope this indicates EA can put more of their games on GOG.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I have an Origin Premier Access, so i highly doubt they would let me move my games there, as its all leased so to speak. :T
But its also with UBISoft and Uplay. I have 2 Ubisoft accounts, one that steam created, and one that i made a long time ago, and UBISoft can not still merg them together with the many many hours of Customer Support emails i had to get them to do so.

Feb 4, 2009
Hell I’d be happy if I could import my C&C 3 (the one with alien bugs) key into steam. I hate holding on to disks and boxes, especially now since I no longer have a dvd drive.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
This alliance between Steam and EA is kind of like Donald Trump's alliance with Putin.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hell I’d be happy if I could import my C&C 3 (the one with alien bugs) key into steam. I hate holding on to disks and boxes, especially now since I no longer have a dvd drive.
Have you looked into if the developer/publisher gives Steam keys out if you provide proof of a retail purchase? Relic used to do this (and still does apparently) for DoW: Dark Crusade. I just had to e-mail them a picture of my game manual and the disc's SKU and they sent me a free Steam key. I just told them I'd rather play on Steam and continue to support them than use a dated method of physical media and keep my game disc and packaging in pristine condition while still being able to enjoy the game.

Feb 4, 2009
Have you looked into if the developer/publisher gives Steam keys out if you provide proof of a retail purchase? Relic used to do this (and still does apparently) for DoW: Dark Crusade. I just had to e-mail them a picture of my game manual and the disc's SKU and they sent me a free Steam key. I just told them I'd rather play on Steam and continue to support them than use a dated method of physical media and keep my game disc and packaging in pristine condition while still being able to enjoy the game.

yeah, I know I did this with another game. Just haven’t tried yet

Feb 4, 2009
Just tried to enter key into steam it didn't work "invalid key"
I tried origin in the past and failed maybe I'll try again.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
What is the point of steam for some EA games? ..... https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282690/Crysis_3/

:rolleyes:

Not really unlike what Ubisoft does with their games (which I dislike, by the time I get around to playing a Ubisoft title in my library I have to spend 30 minutes just unlocking my Ubisoft account).

I think the idea for future releases is to incorporate a "thin client" into the steam launcher so you don't have to do a full blown log-in into Origin, it will simply accept your Steam credentials or tie those credentials to your Origin account.

This will basically allow EA to market MTX and DLC directly through their game.

Feb 4, 2009
Just tried to enter key into steam it didn't work "invalid key"
I tried origin in the past and failed maybe I'll try again.

Tried Origin & GOG same result. Oh well either I’ll get a usb drive or use a shady download site since I do have a legitimate key.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
EA is just using this as a redirect to get Steam users onto Origin. Not sure how I feel about that, but it seems kinda lame.