E8400 - Core Temps Lower than CPU Temp

Capt Proton

Dec 17, 2006
This is my second E8400, and I am very familiar with the whole stuck DTS issue, but, this is different.
Running 490 X 9 for 4.4GHz with 1.36V. Sensors do not go below 42C. Not a problem. The problem is that they hardly ever go up at all. I am using water, ambient is around 18-20C. The CPU temp will hit 50C and still no movement from the Core Temps. I shut down the water pump to get the temps up. Core Temp finally rose, but was about 15C lower than the CPU Temp. I would love to believe that my temps were low enough that the DTS temps were accurate, but, based on what I saw with my last E8400, I don't think so. I can't remeber if my CPU Temp was in line with the Core Temps on the last one, as I never paid attention to them.
Any thoughts appreciated.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
If there's no other problems, then leave it alone. Temps vary widely with different programs. And temps will rise when the pump shuts off stopping flow of the liquid coolant. I've had my Intel cpus up to 80c when the fan failed; they still run fine.

Capt Proton

Dec 17, 2006
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My main question here, I think, is can someone else that has a similar rig with Watercooling have a look at theri Core temps versus the CPU temp, in Everest, Speedfan, whatever reports both, and tell me how they compare. Leave it alone is not an option for me. I need to know what is going on. That is how we learn and become better.