e8400 at the egg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Bateluer
What is the MSRP on the E8400, 186 USD?

Its like $181 in quantities of 1000, so, they have to make there profit... but computer part margins are pretty thin. So, a 20%+ gouge is pretty rough

jb1677

Jan 29, 2005
I'm a sucker and jumped in at newegg..... still kicking myself for not buying from the first wave of sub 200 retailers.

O well, I was ordering a bunch of stuff from newegg anyways, whats a few more dollars :)

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Andvari
I've been hearing a lout of gouge claims from newegg lately. Is it just a seasonal or item-specific thing? Or is newegg less-than-stellar these days?

It's simple supply and demand. I know what they pay - and when an item is introduced - they indeed charge a much higher margin than most.

It's smart business. It's also smart for the buyer to not buy from a retailer just on name alone.

I support TankGuys.

PsylockeSmythe

Jan 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Spook
Originally posted by: Bateluer
What is the MSRP on the E8400, 186 USD?

Its like $181 in quantities of 1000, so, they have to make there profit... but computer part margins are pretty thin. So, a 20%+ gouge is pretty rough

The $186 in quantities of 1000 is for the OEM version not the retail box version; which is priced higher.

Psy

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
MSRP for 1K quantity is very much of an empty measure for actual market price. We all know that retailers/OEMs get a lot better deals through rebates, volume discounts, marketing support, or many other incentives. For lower demand parts actual price can surely go below the MSRPs. Although Intel has been pretty good at meeting market demand so they could keep their (arbitrarily) set prices pretty damn well. (except initial gouging)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im gonna throw a wrench in this thread.

for 3 dollars more you can buy a Kentsfield on a 8x platform. :p

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php...d9ad6cdb50b9b57639e771

227 dollars for a intel Kentsfield Quadcore.

let the contemplating begin. :D

OT: Lopri what place you at on the stepup? im like 300 something.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
Central Computers has these for $216 + S&H...The site doesn't seem to want to let me link direct, so just do a search...Good company...I'm there frequently...As of this evening, they have 5 sitting on the shelf at the Stevens Creek location...

Tachyon74

Mar 14, 2006
Yea that price gouging is crap. I was going to buy the rest of my computer parts at newegg, but i decided to get the cpu and my 8800gt (also a fun price gouging item) at mwave instead.

bka4u2c

Mar 17, 2006
Also MicroCenter has them for 189.99 in store. They also posted them on their website today for shipping or in-store pickup. Over the weekend it was in store only and they sold through those babies quick. I got mine Friday when they released them, went back Sunday and they were all gone. Got an email today that there are back in stock and the price is still good through Wednesday.

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
Originally posted by: bka4u2c
Also MicroCenter has them for 189.99 in store. They also posted them on their website today for shipping or in-store pickup. Over the weekend it was in store only and they sold through those babies quick. I got mine Friday when they released them, went back Sunday and they were all gone. Got an email today that there are back in stock and the price is still good through Wednesday.

Thanks for the info. I cancelled my Buy.com order ($202.34) that hadn't shipped yet, and bought from Microcenter online for $195.98 shipped. I'd recommend against Buy.com unless the site says its in stock.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Tachyon74
Yea that price gouging is crap. I was going to buy the rest of my computer parts at newegg, but i decided to get the cpu and my 8800gt (also a fun price gouging item) at mwave instead.

NEWEGG BLOWS WHEN PEOPLE POST A LINK LIKE THIS!

EAch tiem someone hits that page, a counter ticks. The more Ticks, the price slowly goes up for the next person.

You wanna talk about bad?? The eVGA 780i underwent a 120 dollar price increase over 1 week period of time when people posted up the setup promotion and the link to newegg.

Of course it dropped after no one bought it. :p

Check EWIZ and MWAVE, TankGuys, Directron, NCIXUS if your in the US, or NCIX if canada, Thenerds.net is also another favorate store of mine. Shintech sometimes has ES's on sale. :p if your into that kind of thing.

These are all excellent stores.

Zipzoomfly is also great if they get your order correct. If not, there a massive headache, but sometimes there price is worth the risk.