Dyson vacuums worth the money?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
At Sears today (Lakeside Mall, Sterling Heights, MI) they had a Kenmore Upright normally priced at $89 or $99... on clearance for $19.99.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Ronstang
That sure is a lot of money for something that sucks so much.

But as all men know, anything that does a good job of sucking is worth a lot...

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Much like my last ex-GF, my vacuum has seen a TON of use, but unlike her, it still sucks just as strongly as the day I bought it.

:D:D

I get a free Kirby from my parents when I finally have a permanent residence, so I'm all set on the vacuum front.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
It has stopped my wife from making the "the vacuum is clogged" excuse when I ask her to vacuum.

so yeah it's worth it.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Dyson = absolute peice of crap.

I can't tell you how many things broke on ours. Good thing I got the service plan from Sears - but that takes a freekin month to go through that process every time. Seems like I'm without the vacuum more than I have it. Plastic POS.

I want another vacuum so bad, but I can't believe I paid over $400 for this thing. I feel like I have to keep using it for a while to get my money's worth or something...

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
dyson= emotional design. things that look good are percieved to work better i guess.
as said, consumer reports doesn't think they are special. even for suction since its only average to begin wtih, it doesn't matter if it loses any or not. at double to almost triple the price of a normal vacumn, its a bit of a joke.

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: KMDupont64
We use a Kenmore we got a sears on clearance for $70. Cleans just fine. I don't know what a $500 vacuum can do other than suck ;)

$10 says that if I ran my Dyson over the path you vacuumed with your Kenmore, there would be a lot of dust and dirt it would pick up that your Kenmore couldn't.

It's not just what you see on top of the carpet, but what's in and below the carpet. A Dyson will get all of that crap. And no filters and easy to dispose of the dust and dirt.

Yay for you!!! Funny thing is, I don't need to make silly bets on the internet because I payed at least 5 times less on a vacuum than you did.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Somone said get a Kirby. Not bad advice, but what you pay (really expensive) is an investment in time. I have several aged relatives who have owned the same machine for 30-40 years. They are built to last, but those returns take many years, due to thier high price, which over the long run is a good value. You will go thru 10-12 regular vacuums in the life of a Kirby.
The only complaint some gals have about them, is that they are heavy, but hey, their made of metal, instead of plastic.

Dog hair is a real problem, if you do not keep your brush roll and belt in top running condition. It does not matter what make, in that regard. Also, a lesson that needs to be learned, is that it is not suction that cleans, but air flow. The more air you can keep moving thru the machine, the better it's gonna clean. Most vacuums lose 80% of their airflow in the first 10 minutes of a new bag's life.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
going to pick up the yellow ball dyson after work today from target. its 499 for it with a $100 gift card from target. i have 3 months to return it if its doesn't live up to the hype and cost. i played with it for a while at target yesterday and was able to convinice the wife to buy it...if no good, then back to target it goes.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
depends on how much you are willing to shop.

I picked up a Samsung (by bissell when samsung pulled out of vacuum sales in the US), ultra quiet canister type vacuum. Works great on my mexican tile and area rugs. My cats like being groomed with it even, it's so unobnoxious.

It was called the Butler Revolution or something, I can't remember Samsung's name for it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Maximus96
going to pick up the yellow ball dyson after work today from target. its 499 for it with a $100 gift card from target. i have 3 months to return it if its doesn't live up to the hype and cost. i played with it for a while at target yesterday and was able to convinice the wife to buy it...if no good, then back to target it goes.

If you have a Linens-n-things in your area, they send out a 20% coupon in some newspapers...that's a $100. coupon, PLUS, yesterday's add also mentioned a $40. rebate for certain purchases over $100.

cyberfuzz

Nov 1, 2004
the kenmore progressive canisters are probably your best choice. they clean REALLY well, and can be had for 1/2 the price of a dyson. <-has 3 kenmores, all 3 still run (oldest 10 yrs)

sadffffff

Jan 6, 2006
theyre total crap. my gf's mom has one and i used it. its a hunk of junk. esp alonside any commercial vac

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Maximus96

If you have a Linens-n-things in your area, they send out a 20% coupon in some newspapers...that's a $100. coupon, PLUS, yesterday's add also mentioned a $40. rebate for certain purchases over $100.

sadly i don't know if there is one near us. i can't look on their website cus its blocked by websense. furthermore we don't have any newpapers nor their coupon...i was pretty excited about the $100 target GC so that may be our best deal for now. plus target has a 90 day return period. i also just saw on dyson's site that they're offering a free car cleaning kit by mail with the purchase of a vac.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: cyberfuzz
the kenmore progressive canisters are probably your best choice. they clean REALLY well, and can be had for 1/2 the price of a dyson. <-has 3 kenmores, all 3 still run (oldest 10 yrs)

whats a progressive canister? whats the diff between it and a regular canister?

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
No they are not worth it.

And a word of advice, don't sanitize your baby's world, or else it's immune system will be weak.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I have a 13 year old Dirt Devil Deluxe upright, and it will still suck the underwear off an 80-year-old nun, with no problem.

Bought a newer upright bagless, and promptly went back to the old one.

Dec 10, 2005
Pick up a copy of consumer reports. They did something on Vacuum cleaners back in the March 2006.

The BestBuy marks for uprights went to the Kenmore Progressive 35922 (34923), Kenmore Progressive 369632 (369633), and the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: daveymark
grabbed a DC07 at big lots today for $75. it seems to do the job okay. better than my roomba

What is Big Lots? Is that like Goodwill?

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Well, my family was going through a vacuum cleaner every 6 months or so, until we bought a Dyson. It's lasted two years, so far.

Close friends had never found a vacuum that could handle everything their pets put them through, until they got the Dyson Animal. It's been running flawlessly for a couple of years.

Dyson may not be the "best" there is, but it's definitely better than most of the vacuums I've seen.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: daveymark
grabbed a DC07 at big lots today for $75. it seems to do the job okay. better than my roomba

What is Big Lots? Is that like Goodwill?

Big Lots, previously Odd Lots, is a discount store. They frequently had old, overstock, and discontinued items at low prices.

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Got it and love it. There is always a deal on them though, latest at Kohl's for under $300 for DC14. Make sure to have lots of carpet at your house otherwise buying it is pointless.