Question Dying 1080ti want to put an AIO on it. What should I get? (help)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I have an EVGA 1080ti Black Edition that is overheating. Instead of just changing the thermal pads and keeping it on air like it is I wanted to install the Kraken G12 bracket with an AIO but I was wondering what AIO would you guys recommend? I am looking for something cheap like $80 or below and I am looking for Single Fan Single Rad Unit. Also if anyone recommends a different bracket other than the Kraken G12 I would appreciate it if not I'll just get that one for now.

Hope to hear some feedback and opinions. Would really appreciate it.
Thanks! cheers!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
your not fixing the problem, your just trying to move it somewhere else.

Why is the GPU overheating?
Is it starving for air?
Is your room a Sauna?
Do you have so many dust bunnies cloging the heat sink, that it looks like a college male dorm party at the playboy mansion?

You need to address what the issue is, before you attempt to fix it, and not take a sledge hammer to the wall and hope breaking this wall will fix the problem.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
your not fixing the problem, your just trying to move it somewhere else.

Why is the GPU overheating?
Is it starving for air?
Is your room a Sauna?
Do you have so many dust bunnies cloging the heat sink, that it looks like a college male dorm party at the playboy mansion?

You need to address what the issue is, before you attempt to fix it, and not take a sledge hammer to the wall and hope breaking this wall will fix the problem.
#1 GPU is overheating for unkown reason. However after repasting and changin the pads it last longer without overheating and shutting down. GPU was bought used in July 2019 its out of warranty perhaps its only aging
#2 taking the side panel off automatically makes the card work and function 100% normal. If I leave the side panel on and play Battlefield 2042 or Rust for 30 minutes the PC will crash because GPU overheats (I monitor through MSI afterburner)
#3 I have no dust bunnies. I clean every 7 to 10 days using an electric duster blower.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
#2 taking the side panel off automatically makes the card work and function 100% normal

You need to fix this then.
Your card is starving for air.
That means you not getting the air circulated enough inside the case.

Possibly adding / repositioning the internal case fans will get you the results you want.

I would go this route first, because if your gpu is starving for air, its not just your gpu, but possibly also your motherboard and ram, and can lead to more issues later on if you don't address them.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
You need to fix this then.
Your card is starving for air.
That means you not getting the air circulated enough inside the case.

Possibly adding / repositioning the internal case fans will get you the results you want.

I would go this route first, because if your gpu is starving for air, its not just your gpu, but possibly also your motherboard and ram, and can lead to more issues later on if you don't address them.
No That means I've had the GPU inside the same build for 2.5 years and its starting to die so I need to fix the GPU. Its worked fine 2.5 years until the GPU started dying. Case and setup is in signature

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
No That means I've had the GPU inside the same build for 2.5 years and its starting to die so I need to fix the GPU. Its worked fine 2.5 years until the GPU started dying. Case and setup is in signature

Yes and No...
It does mean its starting to show its end life.
But by allowing more air to go though it by removing side panel, it means its also starving for fresh air.
This to any builder is a big flag that your case is not getting enough air.

What fans are you running and how are your fans set up?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Yes and No...
It does mean its starting to show its end life.
But by allowing more air to go though it by removing side panel, it means its also starving for fresh air.
This to any builder is a big flag that your case is not getting enough air.

What fans are you running and how are your fans set up?
You said "This to any builder is a big flag that your case is not getting enough air."
How can this be an issue now if I have used the system with the same configuration for 6 years? I know its just the card dying. I either put an AIO on it or wait for an FTW 3 3080

I am have 2 140m fans in front pushing air in, one in the back pushing air out and the 2 CPU AIO fans pushing air in. I either repair the 1080ti or wait for a 3080

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I know its just the card dying.

How do you know when you have no clue what actually is wrong? And 'the card is dying' is not actually a proper diagnosis.

How can this be an issue now if I have used the system with the same configuration for 6 years?

Your GPU was the same 6 years ago, yet you are convinced that your GPU changed, but somehow you are sure that the rest of your system didn't change.

Fact is that if your card works well with better airflow, then the card is not getting the best airflow. It may be true that the cooling capacity of the the card got worse, so it now has problems with the same poor airflow that it used to be able to cope with, but that still means that the airflow to the card isn't that good.

Of course, it could also be true that the airflow of the case deteriorated, as well as the cooling capacity of the GPU.

Reactions: coercitiv

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
You said "This to any builder is a big flag that your case is not getting enough air."
How can this be an issue now if I have used the system with the same configuration for 6 years? I know its just the card dying. I either put an AIO on it or wait for an FTW 3 3080

I am have 2 140m fans in front pushing air in, one in the back pushing air out and the 2 CPU AIO fans pushing air in. I either repair the 1080ti or wait for a 3080

Why 4 intakes and only 1 exhaust? Why not keep the front fans as intakes and have the cpu AIO fans pull or push air out the top?