DX12 comes to Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Wow i mean how much hype was around DX12 initially? Low overhead, more efficient, better performance, etc. What happened to all that?

1. It's less abstracted, "closer to metal" and hence harder or more costly to get right. And game companies exec rather release something half-arsed that marks all the check-boxes than pay enough good developers and give them enough time. I mean nowadays you need to wait another 6 month before games are actually usable. Release is usually beta version at best.

2. This is for now the bigger problem IMHO. There is simply no pure dx12 game out yet. all game engines fundamentally are dx11-based and dx12 tacked-on. And the concepts of dx11 and dx12 are completely different. If you put an F1 car on wooden cart wheels it won't be fast no matter what you do unless you use real tires.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I've played Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently and was surprised by how good their DX12 support is compared to DX11 now, their previous game had a DX12 patch in 2016 but it wasn't all that great, developers are certainly getting better at using DX12 I think, and with the next gen of consoles approaching, ray tracing and whatnot, DX12 (and perhaps Vulkan) should become even more relevant.

Rise of the Tomb Raider DX12 was great if you were CPU limited. DX12 and Vulkan, or even their successors, will obviously be a requirement once games target the next-gen consoles though.
Even a 1.6 Ghz 8C/8T Ryzen 2 with low level access would drive up CPU requirements alot on the PC, PC gaming would be in alot of hurt if sticking to DX11.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
That's ... rather weird. Never had that happen here. (Been using Win10 for several years now.)

Well it's happening to me. It never lands when i select / let go. I either repeat or simply click with my mouse. Who in their mind have thought of that? People are so stupid at microsoft.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Rise of the Tomb Raider DX12 was great if you were CPU limited. DX12 and Vulkan, or even their successors, will obviously be a requirement once games target the next-gen consoles though.
Even a 1.6 Ghz 8C/8T Ryzen 2 with low level access would drive up CPU requirements alot on the PC, PC gaming would be in alot of hurt if sticking to DX11.

I will be curious to see how games are handled on chips like the i7 4790k in comparison. Good assumption is that 4c/4t is certainly dead and chips like a i5 8400 are prob on borrowed time till then? Anyone on a 2700x or a i7 8700 ought to be alright at least. I worry more about where the 4c/8t i7 users will be when next generation pushes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well it's happening to me. It never lands when i select / let go. I either repeat or simply click with my mouse. Who in their mind have thought of that? People are so stupid at microsoft.
Do you by any chance have StickyKeys enabled, accidentally? (Press SHIFT five times, or hold it down, can enable it. Normally you get a prompt, though.)

Look into the Accessability Options.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

maybe I'm being a little too harsh with Rise, but I had crashes that didn't occur in DX11 and vram usage issues, and the performance difference wasn't all that significant, but with Shadow the performance is clearly higher and it seems well polished all around,

but yes, I can think of other recent games that are no good at DX12, like RE2 remake, it's just very slow with DX1.

I will be curious to see how games are handled on chips like the i7 4790k in comparison. Good assumption is that 4c/4t is certainly dead and chips like a i5 8400 are prob on borrowed time till then? Anyone on a 2700x or a i7 8700 ought to be alright at least. I worry more about where the 4c/8t i7 users will be when next generation pushes.

we might see a wave of upgrades, and old i7s finally being dead,
the PS5 is going to use a 8c/16t Ryzen2 based CPU, the clock is probably not as high as desktop CPUs, but I would be surprised if it's this low (1.6),
and even at that clock as mentioned it would be a huge increase from the PS4 CPU, which runs at 1.6Ghz and is clearly slower than a core 2 duo per clock/core.
but not all games are the same, and you might have games that are more GPU limited being OK with the old CPUs, it will be interesting no doubt.

Feb 4, 2009
Meh, we always hear the new gen consoles will make various PC’s or CPU’s obsolete but it never happens

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Meh, we always hear the new gen consoles will make various PC’s or CPU’s obsolete but it never happens

as if we are getting new console gens that often...

the current gen started in 2013 and used low spec CPUs for the time, like i3 Sandy Bridge level of performance or bellow for MT and 2002 level of performance for ST,

the prior one started in 2005 and helped to increase the pace in which people had to move away from single core and K8 rapidly

PS5 is confimed to use 8c/16 Zen2, that's going to be very much current CPU tech for 2020, and consoles extract a lot more performance (better optimization, less overhead) than PC does, so I can see it increasing PC requirements a huge amount more than the previous gen did.

Feb 4, 2009
as if we are getting new console gens that often...

the current gen started in 2013 and used low spec CPUs for the time, like i3 Sandy Bridge level of performance or bellow for MT and 2002 level of performance for ST,

the prior one started in 2005 and helped to increase the pace in which people had to move away from single core and K8 rapidly

PS5 is confimed to use 8c/16 Zen2, that's going to be very much current CPU tech for 2020, and consoles extract a lot more performance (better optimization, less overhead) than PC does, so I can see it increasing PC requirements a huge amount more than the previous gen did.

PS2 & PS3
However I get what you are saying.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
we might see a wave of upgrades, and old i7s finally being dead,
the PS5 is going to use a 8c/16t Ryzen2 based CPU, the clock is probably not as high as desktop CPUs, but I would be surprised if it's this low (1.6),

Yeah a friend and me got into a conversation about the PS5 and he mentioned the threads. Also made it sound like my i7 8700 could very well be trash before the end of its life cycle as well. I told him not to worry about me as more himself on his 7700k. Conversation went dead right after i made that comment. Its very likely the 8 thread chips are going to be very bad off. Guess we will find out sooner rather then later.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
maybe I'm being a little too harsh with Rise, but I had crashes that didn't occur in DX11 and vram usage issues, and the performance difference wasn't all that significant, but with Shadow the performance is clearly higher and it seems well polished all around,

but yes, I can think of other recent games that are no good at DX12, like RE2 remake, it's just very slow with DX1.

Rise did get a couple of patches that gradually improved its DX12 implementation though, so your experience might be with the initial DX12 support.

I have the same story with Hitman 2016 though, since I've been playing on an old Phenom II X4 955, it's a huge improvement even for the GTX Titan, even though Kepler is notorious for its DX12 performance. Users constantly bashing the DX12 performance in various games are probably just looking at benchmarks using high performant CPUs.

Last edited: