DVI to Hdmi w/ audio?

Apr 17, 2003
Can anyone point me to a DVI to hdmi cable that carries audio as well? I bought one from mono but no audio :(

thanks.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Why not just use the DVI->HDMI converter dongle that came with your card, then use an HDMI cable?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
You need an HDMI cable and the DVI -> HDMI converter that came with your video card. You can't just use any converter either.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
of course I found everything in the box except the dvi/hdmi converter.

Look more closely (and check the outside of your box where it lists box contents.) My bro had an XFX 4890 that had a secret compartment with one and he never noticed till he really studied the box. If you really can't find one, sometimes people sell them on ebay.

Apr 17, 2003
Look more closely (and check the outside of your box where it lists box contents.) My bro had an XFX 4890 that had a secret compartment with one and he never noticed till he really studied the box. If you really can't find one, sometimes people sell them on ebay.

hmmmm, looked at the box contents. Even though the newegg pic shows it, it's not included. None listed on ebay either. is there any reason a third party one wouldn't work?

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
I was a complete moron with this problem. I had the same request for my apple mini. My TV allows a non audio HDMI cord to be plugged into port HDMI-3. Right next to it is a L/R audio in. You can just use a regular cable + audio cable.

As far as audio and video thru the HDMI cable, you need an expensive box, or receiver that combines.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
hmmmm, looked at the box contents. Even though the newegg pic shows it, it's not included. None listed on ebay either. is there any reason a third party one wouldn't work?

Yes many 3rd party ones (ie Monoprice) are designed to convert video not audio. But you should be able to pick up an ATI one that converts video and audio for cheap from the forums or Ebay or that link that Schmide provided.

Kalessian

Aug 18, 2004
For newer geforces (9 series and up + some 8 series), you can run audio through any old dvi to hdmi cable. I know this is true since I personally have it working in my HTPC with a 9600 GSO and an audigy 2 with a regular old single link dvi->hdmi from monoprice. You just need to hook up the internal sound spdif out to the vid card's internal spdif in. Even works in linux nowadays.

As for radeons, I know that you have to use their specific dvi->hdmi adapter and then use any old hdmi cable. The pin layout is different so you need this specific part. As someone already said, your best chance is probably ebay or maybe amazon marketplace.

EDIT: Yeah like someone said above try to contact XFX. Though when I called EVGA to try to set mine up no one had any idea what I was talking about.

Last edited:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
If they show the pins for the converter or dvi cable, you can buy them. I think the main difference is the ones that work with audio have the center pins (looks like a full rectangle) while the ones that do not have the pins won't (looks like 2 squares). These ebay ads have pics that show what I'm talking about. The ATI one has a full row of pins while the other has a chunk in the center missing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ATI-HDMI-to...iewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item2a05b83c6b

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIGH-END-DVI-TO...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439e33eded

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
How can I get sound from my asus xonar dx and ati video card with hdmi out? I want sound & audio to both go through the hdmi cable