DVI or HDMI ?

bloodandsoil

Jan 5, 2007
Hello, I have a video card and a monitor that support DVI and HDMI and I have both cables. What are the differences...which is better...which should I use?

Video Card = ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4850] rev 0
Monitor = NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2 20.1" native resolution 1680x1050 [WSXGA+ Aspect Ratio 1.6]

Thanks.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
As they're both digital I think there's no difference in quality, but HDMI is also able to send audio signals if you need it.

bloodandsoil

Jan 5, 2007
I have audio through the onboard chipset (Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard, circa 2007). I am considering installing a PCI sound card upgrade.

Last edited:

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
HDMI is just DVI with audio as well. Visually they are 100% exactly the same.

InfoTiger

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2004

No, HDMI is worse than DVI.
At native 1080 color on my monitor is blue, and text is blur.
But it's getting improved at low resolution.
Wonder it's about the quality of HDMI cable.

bloodandsoil

Jan 5, 2007
No, HDMI is worse than DVI.
At native 1080 color on my monitor is blue, and text is blur.
But it's getting improved at low resolution.
Wonder it's about the quality of HDMI cable.

Well I guess there are 3 components that could factor in...the panel, the video chip, and the interface cable. I guess counting 4 would include your eyeball sensory intake and 5 would be your brain perception. Now that I think of it, there could be more factors (smaller) like loose screw or connection, or even mis-applied settings on the monitor menu system, the operating, or the video driver/utility.

Just throwing stuff out there

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

I think HDMI has more options by default to tinker with than DVI.

Hooking up the same system HDMI to an Sony XBR4 gives bad results for video versus DVI. Not sure why, I had to tinker with the video settings to get the HDMI to match the DVI.

Also, ghosting was an issue, and horrid (HORRID) color bleeding on fast moving scenes.

Mona2010

Jan 23, 2010
DVI is better in its options and color view, generally, you'll get better screen as i think.

bloodandsoil

Jan 5, 2007
Ah, seems there is not a clear consensus on this issue. Maybe this is food for a new Anandtech article? I'd like to see the comparison done right.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
DVI and HDMI both use the same format TDMS signal, the data stream to the monitors should be equal quality and format. If there's a difference it must be in the monitors own controller logic or just not having the EDID profile loaded up? I know HDMI is a little more finicky about reading EDID data.

As for poor cable quality, HDMI cables all have to be certified, meaning they work or don't - since it's a digital signal if there's degradation you should either get no picture or blocky artifacts.

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
DVI if you are using a pc monitor with a pc. HDMI if you are using a pc to a TV.
DVI support in the monitor chipset will always accept all the resolutions supported by the scaler in the monitor. It was created with the idea that pc type resolutions would be used.
HDMI in monitors are designed to expect the standard formats and using a different one may result in scaling issues or color issues.

Internally it is going to depend on how the monitor feeds connections to the controller but sticking with the above DVI for pc, HDMI for tv almost always works.