DVI Connector help

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
I have a Dell 2407WFP monitor, which is currently connected to my computer with a VGA cable. I am trying to connect my new computer, which has an ATI Radeon 512 MB HD4350 graphics card. Unlike my old computer, this has a DVI output, so I thought I would use a DVI cable to connect the new computer. That has the added benefit of being able to have both computers connected to the monitor, so I can switch back and forth between them by pushing the input button on my monitor (as I go through the process of getting all my software working on the new computer before disposing of the old computer).

The problem is that apparently my monitor has a DVI-D connector, and while I am not positive, it seems like the HD4350's DVI output is DVI-I. Is this correct, and if so, does that mean that I cannot use DVI to connect the new computer to the monitor? In that case, I guess I will just stick with VGA (the HD4350 also has HDMI, but the monitor doesn't).

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
DVI-I just means the card has some extra pins over DVI-D which allow for a DVI->VGA adapter.. DVI-D still works, you're fine.