DVD-RAM discs in cartridge

mitso

Oct 9, 1999
Where can I find info on these discs and players.

This is for autistic children that can't handle

individual discs.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Are you talking about standalone set-top players or computer drives? Most of the latter are SCSI but some are IDE, I have an IDE one made by Panasonic. Accepts the DVD-RAM discs in their cartridges.

If you mean the former, I went to videohelp.com and searched for DVD-RAM, and found this: "Found in Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Hitachi and JVC machines." I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer has some models too, of these or of drives.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've got some dvd-ram discs new in cartridges just sitting around. Had set up a drive as a cheap backup in a place with a very dusty environment. I doubt you'll find standalone dvd players that play dvd-ram discs, let alone accept the cartridges. It'll be tough to even find computer drives that accept the cartridges. There are some Panasonic 1x & 2x combo dvd-ram & dvd-r burners, then a few Toshiba dvd-ram only drives that accepted the cartridges. If you find any, they'll certainly be several years old and last I checked they commanded a premium on eBay due to their increasing rarity.

ADD - I'm actually surprised there's still one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-...?hash=item260139649159

mitso

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the comments guys.

Biding on the ebay unit was stopped.
But from the part # I found a new unit on
sale at meritline.com (P/N sw-9574-c)
for $135.00 . I'ts for a pc, but if a stand
alone isn't available it will do.

I knew I could rely on the anandtech
group !
Thanks loads guys.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
That's a pretty nice unit, although a bit pricey. The one I have is older and slower (I'd have to look it up next week to find the specs), but if you want I could sell you it and my discs+carts for cheaper - I never got around to using them.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
You can open up the dvd-ram cartridges. If you're setting this up for movie playback, I'd bet you could simply swap out the ram discs in the cartridges for actual movie dvds.