DVD-R / DVD+R in the future

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I got this from doom9

"DVD-R/W is not going to be around on the long run because the plus camp seems to be more convincing and has the edge on recording speed. In fact, while the DVD forum has yet to sign off 8x DVD-Rs, 8x DVD+R drives are already being sold, and not by any brand, but Plextor, king of CD burners. Furthermore, 12x DVD+R burners should be out by Q1 2004, followed by 16x DVD+R burners later in the same year. And while dual layer DVD recording is feasible, it might never enter the market because the technology is too expensive, and DVD successor technologies are not too far off. On a personal note, I have visited a media manufacturing plant 2 months ago and spoken to the product manager. He told me that in his business, people were rooting for the plus format as well, because it's cheaper to manufacture. Considering that plus media are still somewhat more expensive than their minus brethren, selling plus media is quite a lucrative business."

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
This is why I bought a DVD+/-RW drive. I don't want to know whats going on behind the scenes as long as I can get my DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs cheap :)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Sounds like a personal opinion to me.

Personally I don't care. If you burn a -R disc, it will play in a DVD player. If you burn a +R disc, it will play in a DVD player. Which ever you get, it really does not make much difference. I'd just get the cheapest good quality drive.