DVD-+R 100 pack 4x $19.99 Sale Ends 18th

The Master

Feb 4, 2000
I don't know any thing about these discs but when I was CompUSA this evening I did snap a pic if that helps..

http://ophelus.net/temp/IMG_0259.JPG

I suppose that's about $23 with tax (give or take your area) so it's .23 a disc, I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not seemed okay but these are likely generic disc and I didn't pick up a pack so I don't know if they burn at 8x I'm guessing they likely do.. and maybe 12x (I usually snap a good deals too late ;) )

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Thanks for the picture. I can see that these disks are made in China. I f you look at www.dvdrhelp.com you can see the Compusa -R brand Probably the AML media code here:
Compusa DVD-R 4X Made in China
It really has mixed reviews.
It seems that they also have Princos that are Made in China too. Princo

The Compusa DVD+R brand has AML media code but they were made in Hong Kong.
DVD+R AML
Here's a pic of the Hong Kong disks but they have the same Compusa SKU# 316430 JPEG of DVD+R
Here's a link to the Compusa 4X DVD+R's

Apr 15, 2004
I bought a roll of these the last time they were on sale for 19.99, and they don't like my Lite-On 411s at all. Not even when it's flashed to 811s. The media just doesn't get recognized in the drive, I had to pull em out and put em back in about 50 times before it'd finally just magically read one and start to burn it. So far I've been able to burn 3 of the 100 discs, the other 97 have just been sitting here. When they get recognized they burn fine, but they're highly incompatible with my drive.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
My experience with Compusa optical media is that it is junk.

I have 50 of their cdrs that after 2 years are mostly unreadable due to clouding between the layers.

I have returned DVDs that wouldn't work, and even sometimes locked up Nero.

I can't see myself ever buying any Compusa branded media ever again.

dumpav

May 1, 2003
20$ for 100pk of compusa definitly not good deal at all.

If you not mind this AML manufacturer, u can get better deal for those Staples's PLAYO, which is $5 for 50pk couples weeks ago.

nomadh

Jan 19, 2004
I have both the compusa +r 4x code aml001 and the playo 8x aml002. The aml001 are not great. My benq usually gets passable burns but my new nec 3550 I beleive usually gets a quality score of 0 in cd speed but they are readable. The aml002 have been great for me. I get q=96+ in the benq at 16x even and nearly as good a score in my nec. I know there are alot of other factors but the aml002 look as good as verbatim 16x mcc disks after initial burn. Only time will tell on the amls quality but the $5 for 50 at staples was a no brainer over the comp disks. I think best buy has the 16x verbatims at $15 for 50. 16x verb vs 4x compusa aml unknowns.....Hmmmmm. $.30 vs $.20 per disk. You'll have to decide that. BTW the aml001 didn't work at all in my liteon 811 or mt btc or my nec2500 or flashed as a 2510. Don't buy them unless you have a very very good burner. (that might be code for benq)
Hope that helps

Doug117

Oct 30, 2000
Yeah i got sucked into the $20 spindle during black friday... still working my way thru them... nothing great... got AMLs myself. Never knew that code before I got these. I've already seen a few with dye "splashed" on the inner hub where theres not supposed to be any dye... sloppy. I use these for the crap i dont care about, and save my ridata 8x's for the good stuff :).

DaFOBulous1

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: INXSible
IMHO, you can get cheaper and more reliable blank media at Shop4tech

Which is the best one for PS2 back-ups now?

I picked up the Memorex CompUSA deal, the ones u can print the labels on or whatnot and they were horrible!

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
"I picked up the Memorex CompUSA deal, the ones u can print the labels on or whatnot and they were horrible!"

those are ricoh jpn 03 i think
yeah they are awful, but if the firmware can be updated (for the drive) they get better

no such luck for the 1100a/1300a i own though -- can't even recognize them in the drive

nomadh

Jan 19, 2004
Memorex are typically bad to horrible. Maybe worse than some of these house brands even like these compusa disks. I thought ricoh media was some of the best. Are you sure those bad disks are ricoh jpn 03? There is also the possibility of faked media codes.

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
"Are you sure those bad disks are ricoh jpn 03?"

yes, i checked it again. ricoh jpn 03
they may be faked for all i know, but these were bought retail as opposed to being bought online

edit: the cusa 4x made in taiwan are ricoh jpn 01
bought a pack @ mm sale last friday and checked, then went back and bought another