DVD Playback has no audio

deeyo

Jun 18, 2006
My DVD's have been silent for the past few months. It worked fine in the summer and i can't remember what sort of changes i may have made to my system since. The picture quality is perfect yet in both PowerDVD and WMP, there is absolutely no sound. Maybe a small clicking sound.

I've tried updating the drive firmware, clicking that disable digital audio thing in the drive properties, connecting an analog cable between the drive and the sound card (which i took out recently, though i think the dvd's worked fine after that), and tried about every software setting i could find.

Anyone know of a common error i'm overlooking or got any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Are you only having this problem with DVDs? Can you play an MP3 without a problem? How about an AVI file?

kaioshade

Jun 17, 2005
possibly a corrupted dvd audio codec? you have powerdvd in your comp, which is most likely your source for dvd decoding. try to reinstall power dvd and see what happens. if that still does not work, try and use a 3rd party decoder and see what happens. the dscaler mpeg2 decoder is a nice one.

oOZo

Dec 4, 2006
I found in a PowerDVD forum a post about 2 vs 4 vs 6 channels.

If your audio config is for more than 2 channels try disabling EAX.
You can also try setting up your config for 2 channels and seeing if that works.

Otherwise I would try kaioshade's recommendation.

OZ