Question DVD burner not recognized in windows anymore

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I had an older BluRay burner that just wouldn't work anymore. W10 would not recognize it at all. So, I purchased a new burner, but Windows still won't recognize it. What am I doing wrong. Asus DRW-24B1ST. Does anyone have any idea of what to do? I have tried the registry fix, and device manager fix. I'm not sure what is going on.

Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I found out the issue. Since no DVD drive was working, I thought a little harder. I installed an M.2 drive awhile back and wondered if that took up some sata ports. I moved the DVD drive cable to another sata port, and presto. It now works. 2 sata ports taken up by an M.2 drive. Shoot. I guess I better check my motherboards better next time I buy one to make sure that won't happen again.

George Nasir

Sep 20, 2022
Once Windows 10 has booted to the desktop, choose Device Manager by holding down the Windows key and X. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, pick the specified optical drive from the context menu, and select Uninstall. Restart your computer after exiting Device Manager. After detecting the drive, Windows 10 will reinstall it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I found out the issue. Since no DVD drive was working, I thought a little harder. I installed an M.2 drive awhile back and wondered if that took up some sata ports. I moved the DVD drive cable to another sata port, and presto. It now works. 2 sata ports taken up by an M.2 drive. Shoot. I guess I better check my motherboards better next time I buy one to make sure that won't happen again.

Hey, we've all been there. I have a board that shares two sata ports with the M.2 slot also, unless you run the M.2 in NVMe mode.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I actually just moved it to the other M.2 port on the board, and got my 2 SATA ports back. I'm not sure what I was thinking putting it in the one slot. I guess I wasn't thinking.