DVD-Audio FTW!

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Just got the Keane - Hopes and Fears DualDisc (one side CD, one side DVD-V/DVD-A) and my ears are in heaven. After fiddling with Creative's stupid, stupid software and using imagecfg to force their DVD-Audio software to run in single processor mode only, I'm now just basking in sonic bliss. 96/24/2ch and 48/24/6ch mixes are included on this disc, can't wait till I can get a hold of a 192/24 DVD-Audio. Best of all, there's dynamics in the audio! Yay!!!

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
It really makes cds obsolete. Ok maybe for ripping purposes, but sonically ... DVD-A just makes cds look sad.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I need to have a listen. DVD-Audio discs are expensive, though...

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I think one of the biggest factors in DVD-A and SACD sounding good is that they are actually mastered correctly instead of being compressed as hell. A properly mastered CD can sound very nice; unfortunately most modern CDs are just bulldozed and all dynamic range is killed.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I think one of the biggest factors in DVD-A and SACD sounding good is that they are actually mastered correctly instead of being compressed as hell. A properly mastered CD can sound very nice; unfortunately most modern CDs are just bulldozed and all dynamic range is killed.

Not really. CDs still sound, well, like a CD. Sure you can get a pretty darn good recording but it lacks the tone and overall sound of a live performance/analog. You can even take the CD recording and compare with the SACD/DVD-A version and that tone becomes extermely apparent. It's almost analog-ish. So even though the CDs are butchered as far as dynamic range most of the time, there is a lot more to it than just that.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle

Not really. CDs still sound, well, like a CD. Sure you can get a pretty darn good recording but it lacks the tone and overall sound of a live performance/analog. You can even take the CD recording and compare with the SACD/DVD-A version and that tone becomes extermely apparent. It's almost analog-ish. So even though the CDs are butchered as far as dynamic range most of the time, there is a lot more to it than just that.

Actually though, with the 24b/48k/6ch mix, the only big difference is the lack of compression, and thus a slightly more effective use of dynamic range, and the fact that it's a pretty well done 6ch mix. The 24b/96k/2ch mix really jumps out at you though.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
You should get the Linkin Park remix album on DVD-A. I've had it in the changer in my car for more than 2 years now and it's never moved.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
DVD-A/SACD doesn't make that big of a difference, it's probably just a better mastering, that's all.

I would really disagree with that. It's a pretty stunning difference and it isn't from the recording. Sting has always had good recordings on CDs. Some of the best. But the sound of the instruments/vocals on the DVD-a is a whole nutter world. All it takes is for one to listen to them both - it's like night and day.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
DVD-A/SACD doesn't make that big of a difference, it's probably just a better mastering, that's all.

I would really disagree with that. It's a pretty stunning difference and it isn't from the recording. Sting has always had good recordings on CDs. Some of the best. But the sound of the instruments/vocals on the DVD-a is a whole nutter world. All it takes is for one to listen to them both - it's like night and day.

oh, I'm sure it certainly does, but it really isn't as big of a difference as you make it out to be, this "night and day" difference

EDIT: on the other hand, maybe I've just gotten used to good recordings on both CD/SACD

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Welcome to 3 years ago...and SACD FTW, BTW. Denon 3910 -> separates -> Dynaudio's = yum.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
I've recently just experienced Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Mahlers 3rd Symphony on a high-end audio system and SACD at my neighbors house. I pretty much orgasmed.

When I did a demonstration @ my neighbors house for one of their friends who lives in Detroit, he immedietly asked me to fly out to Detroit in a few months and set up an entire audio/video solution. Priced it out, and components alone come out to around $20K. Honestly, it was that impressive.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
having recorded music myself at 24/48 and 24/96, i can say that hearing the results dithered down to 16/44 is very disappointing. the difference is noticeable, and has made me loathe CD's ever since.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
You should get the Linkin Park remix album on DVD-A. I've had it in the changer in my car for more than 2 years now and it's never moved.

Hmm I used to love linkin park back in the day... Might be worth checking out.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI

I remember SoulAssasin recommending it in another DVD-Audio/SACD thread, I'll have to pick it up next time I make an Amazon order.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

I remember SoulAssasin recommending it in another DVD-Audio/SACD thread, I'll have to pick it up next time I make an Amazon order.

That I did. The 5.1 mix is just mindblowing on a few tracks.

Mar 11, 2004
Say what you will about Linkin Park, but the Reanimation DVD-A is pretty good. At the end of the Crawling remix there is a bass note that will send a shockwave throughout the room. It shows what they are capable of musically, now if they could just get their lyrics to not be the incessant whinefest they'd actually get some real credibility beyond the rap-metal movement. Not too surprising most people hated Reanimation, even though it was likely the greatest showcase for their real talent, which just furthers my opinion that today's music consumer is an idiot (as if we needed further proof with the digital downloads and dynamic range loss among the many other atrocities).

I also own Metallica's Black album on DVD-A and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on SACD. Unfortunately I don't own a DVD-A/SACD capable player any more, which is why I haven't really bought anymore as I've gone on a CD buying spree the last couple of semesters). I did crank up Money for Nothing as high as I've ever had my audio system (pretty much to earsplitting levels) and there was no noticable distortion even on my humble setup.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

That I did. The 5.1 mix is just mindblowing on a few tracks.

A friend let me hear the Place for my Head remix on there, :Q