DURON OVER TEMP AT IDLE! HELP

ROCKTRO

Oct 1, 2000
For reassurance prior to over-clocking my AMD DURON 600 with ABITKT7-RAID, I am performing a 48hr burning period and have noticed the temp of the CPU hovering at 60-C and this is only at idle! The case has a front and rear fan, the front is diverting air away from the case and the rear has a duct, which draws the air from the heat sink/fan area. What should I do to bring the temp down?

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Did you remove the plastic strip protecting the thermal pad on the heatsink?

I've read where folks forgot to removed the strip and were getting high temps..

ROCKTRO

Oct 1, 2000
Thanks for the tip. I'm hesitant to remove the strip only because I don't want have difficulty removing the fan/heat sink when I am ready to overclock.

StanFL

Dec 30, 1999
ride525 gave you very good advice. If you continue to leave the plastic strip on, Sir, the members of this forum will undoubtedly conclude you are hitting the crack pipe too much. Take it off now and save face and possibly your cpu.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
You need to remove the strip, to allow the thermal pad to do it's job...otherwise the thermal pad can't do a very good job transmitting heat to the heatsink

ROCKTRO

Oct 1, 2000
Thank you for the valuable advice. is my first time attempting this task off over clocking. I was concern with the adhesive on the thermal pad making it difficult once I was ready to overclock???.:eek: (Live & Learn)

Imancer

Jul 21, 2000
Rocktro,

I was a little puzzled about your fan orientations. Your rear (ducted) fan is blowing out of the case, and your power supply fan *should* be blowing out. If that's right then you want the front fan blowing air into the case, so there's air to flow.