Duron 650@800 + A7V radom lockups ... HELP !

WhatsMyNick

Sep 8, 2000
Hi !
Before I begin, I would like to thank all of you here for your help... This is probably one of the best forums I've seen!

Now for my cry for help...

I bought a new system 2 weeks ago :
Asus A7V rev 1.02 (no audio)
Retail Duron 650@800 (I bought a new HUGE CoolMaster(or somethink like that) fan)
128 PC 133 ramn
Hercules Geforce2 MX
Sb Live
IBM Deskstar 20Gig hard disk..

Now even at normal CPU speed(650), my temp is far more often above 50C.. I overclocked my cpu at 800 using a Vcore of 1.7, and the temp is usually 54-57C... EVEN if the case is open... But for some reason, my pc can run Seti@Home for hours and not freeze, and sometimes, just running 2-3 mpegs at the same time freezes.. Or I could play Counter-Strike for 10 mins and it freezes, or I could run it for 1 hours and then it would freeze..The lockups appear to be completely random.. Is it the mobo ? the vide card ? I checked my RAM and it's fine.. So WHAT THE $*(@# IS HAPPENING ?

Please help!

Dyflam

Mar 2, 2000
You could try upping your core voltage and also check the installation of your heat sink and fan. I think, depending on the accuracy of your temp measurement, you should be able to get to around 50 deg C. If you are using stock heat sink and fan you could try one of the others mentioned in some other threads (e.g. Alpha, Global...).

Penalty

Oct 10, 1999
I've got the 600 on an A7V running @1x8 (800) with 1.65v. Temp in Probe hasn't gone over 48C. I've got 2 HD, CDROM, SCSI CD-RW, sound card, nic, and ATI Rage. It's been running 48 hours w/o a system related crash.

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Check for irq conflicts with the sblive, that card is evil when it comes to irq sharing. Disabling sb emulation might help.

WhatsMyNick

Sep 8, 2000
Disabling the SBlive might help.. Do you know how to disable IRQ sharing ? I don't really want to try upping the VCore right now, since I'm already hot, and would'nt want to burn my CPU..
Also isn't the Geforce MX supposed to be really cool ? Mine gets warm really rapidly..

dmr12

Sep 7, 2000
The prophetII MX does seems to generate alot of heat.
But if you are'nt o/c it, then with its big heat sink..it should be ok. At least that's how its designed to be.

But if you're O/cing it, then better to attach a fan to it. I've attached an old Socket 7 fan to it..tried bringing the core & memory clock to 200Mhz no problem.

---------------------------------------------
Duron600@900 1.75V on an A7V with Bios1003
9x100Mhz
Memory@133Mhz

Idle Temp : 41 ~ 43
On load : 50 ~ 54

3DMark2000 score of 4809.(Vga O/Ced )
3Dmark2000 score of 4423.(Vga card @defaul speed)

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
Another thing you may want to do is check the drivers for the SB live. There have been issues with the card, but they've been resolved through driver updates.

As for the MX card running "cool", I don't think any modern graphics chipsets actually run cool. Of course all the nVidia chips run cool compared to a Voodoo5.

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
I kinda think those temps are really high. I get 35c idle to 39c stressed. Maybe its my thermistor or something. I would try the FOP32-1 or Alpha P6035 with some Arctic Silver thermal grease. I have a Chrome Orb and AS thermal grease and I got upto 1Ghz @ 1.85v. I could probably get better with an Alpha or Globalwin. I will suggest also that you remove your mobo from the case when you attach your HSF so that you could see if it's mating correctly with the cpu. Using the background lighting to see if there are any gaps. Goto www.arcticsilver.com for instruction on how to apply thermal grease to the cpu. I believe no matter what your thermal grease is the instructions make common sense. Good luck.