Duplicate image file finder capable of scanning huge network volumes

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I have a server with about 3TB of photos in a terribly organized directory structure and I know there are tons of duplicate pics. The sheer size of this whole thing makes manual organization a nightmare. I need a tool that can easily produce a simple list of duplicate files. It has to look at more than just filenames. There will be files with duplicate names but totally different sizes and dates.

Anyone offer any suggesitons? I have an increasingly sinking feeling I'm going to have to write some kind of script myself.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This is very good, and is fast, and can work on any file type http://tjaberg.com/fdf106.zip
It is command line driven though, but, it does everything you requested, you can even delete the duplicates if you want with this program.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Resurrections time. After many years ignoring this issue and letting the problem get worse, I finally buckled and bought ACDSee Photo Studio 2021 and it is incredible. I've managed to sort through a 4TB mess of a photo library and have eliminated nearly 100,000 duplicates, deleted nearly 100,000 junk images and have nearly completed a major reorganization by date. I've fixed bad metadata, wrong timestamps and can view my entire library across a network share with awesome, awesome performance. It works off your existing file structure so there's no library to import or anything. You just start browsing and working. Had no idea the program was still actively developed and so good! Happy customer.

One thing that is annoying are the two services it installs to check for updates and put a tray icon in place. Easily killed, but not cool. I've sent feedback on that.

Reactions: ElFenix

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I have found Asulogics Duplicate File Finder very useful in finding duplicates, even if the name is completely different. Check only specific file types, or all file types, set size limits, and more. The one limitation is it won't check mapped drives. However, I run it on my server, and access with RDP.