Duplicate channels on TV

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Am having a random (happens only sometimes, not consistently) cases of some (but usually not all) of the scanned channels on my over-the-air TV being duplicated on the channel listing.

Say for instance if I start with the TV on channel 7-1 and I hit the up channel function on the remote (yes, I am hitting the correct button), the channel will not go to channel 7-2 but will instead still show as 7-1 and indeed if I press the CHANNEL LISTING function on the remote that channel (and some of the other scanned channels) will be listed twice, i.e. channel listing may show 7-1, 7-1, 7-2, 7-2, then perhaps 7-3, then 7-4, 7-4, 7-5, 7-5, etc. etc. - some channel entries are duplicated but not all of them.

So, my question is is this problem likely a malfunction of the tuner section (internal electronics of the TV itself) or is this problem being created by some defect in the TV's remote control ?

Most of the time, if I either do a re-scan with the remote or if I will go into the channel listing function and there use the delete function to remove the duplicate channel entries, this will fix the problem for a short period of time but the duplication problem will eventually reoccur within a few hours or days.

Have called the TV manufacturer about this but they have not been able to give me a solution to the problem other than just telling me to rescan the channels. It gets quite frustrating having to do this over and over again.

Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't think those are mistaken duplicate channel ids, but rather, broadcasters with multiple digital sub-channels simulcasting on their sub-channels due to lack of content. In my area, PBS does that.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with your TV.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
If that were the case, then why would I not see those duplicate channels ALL of the time and not just occasionally ? So you are saying that, for instance, channel 7-1 (which is 1 of 4 CBS programming channels in this/my area - the others being 7-2, 7-3 and 7-4), that they would for some reason broadcast 7-1 multiple times and use the SAME identifier 7-1 for different as you are referring to them as sub-channels ? Thanks.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, I guess that I'm wrong. I didn't understand the OP.

Let me guess, an "Android TV"?

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
No, this is JUST a digital TV, none of that operating system stuff on it. If I am going to do computer stuff, then I want a computer, if I am doing TV stuff then I want just a TV. It's a Samsung.