Dungeon Keeper 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
the most recent game similar to Dungeon Keeper was Evil Genius.

check it out, it's awesome: http://gogamer1.amazonwebstore...enius/M/B00012FN9U.htm

Evil Genuis was OK, of course not as good as Dungeon Keeper. Another game to consider is Overlord, of course it's also not on the same level as Dungeon Keeper, but it's mildly entertaining.

I tried Evil Genius maybe 18 months ago b/c it seemed like a very entertaining concept but it was horrendously unstable after I got a few hrs into the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: PsharkJF
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Bummer. Fun game dead.
Nothing better to look forward to.
Guess I'll go back to Deus Ex.

Unless it's something with the newness of the card, turn AA and AF off and give it another try.
The game doesnt have those options built in, and I never have them turned on outside, in the Display Settings.

Plus, peoples troubleshooting skills dont seem too great around here.
THE GAME WORKED!
Then it crashed. Locked my system.
I restarted the system.
Now the game wont work at all.

Its not going to be as simple as changing a setting. Something serious got messed up between then and now.

And it may actually be the card itself.
I have a friend with a Radeon X800 Pro (my old card actually). Will put it in his system and see whats up.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Bummer. Fun game dead.

Unless it's something with the newness of the card, turn AA and AF off and give it another try.
The game doesnt have those options built in, and I never have them turned on outside, in the Display Settings.

THE GAME WORKED!
I restarted the system.

Its not going to be as simple as changing a setting. Something serious got messed up between then and now.

I have a friend with a Radeon X800 Pro (my old card actually). Will put it in his system and see whats up.

Well, I would have to just say "What changed?" It seems it crashed and then no longer would load, so either some setting you changed during the play session is blocking it from launching or some files got corrupted when you were forced to shut down. I'd try reinstalling again since corrupted files of some type seems the most likely cause to me.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Bummer. Fun game dead.

THE GAME WORKED!
I restarted the system.

That happened to me for Stalker: Clear Sky, and I couldn't get it to work again no matter what I did, so uninstalled it and reinstalled and it worked. You may want to try that.

Now that I think about it, I have a copy of Dungeon Keeper that I used to install from time to time and it always worked. Although I haven't tried it in a couple of years, so my memory may be rather poor. I think mine crashed on occasion, but I remember being impressed with how quick it installed and that I could be up and running within a couple of minutes.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Bummer. Fun game dead.

THE GAME WORKED!
I restarted the system.

Try it under Vmware maybe? VmWare Workstation has official Dx9 accel now.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Never played the original but I enjoyed DK2 immensely. It was so much fun to set up kill zones with lots of cannons (provided your mana sources could sustain the firepower) to shred those damn goody goodies invading my dungeon.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ibex333
Name one RTS since DK that allowed you to control your units from 1st person view! I dare ya!

Technically, Savage did.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
From what I understand DKIII was in development, but EA axed it because they felt it would compete with black and white as you could play evil people in both.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
From what I understand DKIII was in development, but EA axed it because they felt it would compete with black and white as you could play evil people in both.
On my copy of DK2 they have a teaser video for DK3.

darkrisen2003

Sep 13, 2004
DK was and still is one of my favorite series. Was awesome to do for lan parties. I wish they would make a 3rd but I just dont see it happening.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I loved DK 2(never played the original).

I thought after patching you could play at higer res, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It would be great if someone continued the series. I never played Evil Genius; it's time for a new "control evil lair" type of game that takes advantage of newer tech.

Just imagine - you could have cool side dungeons or castles which you could only complete by going into a real first person mode with one of your creatures.

I guess we'll only get it when they decide it'll sell to the console crowd.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I have dreamed of seeing a dk3. It would have to have the same... atmosphere as dk2 though. You know, the funny voice overs..

I was never able to get DK2 to play perfectly on anything newer than windows 98 I think.

Well, actually, the last 'almost' stable install was on windows me. Using a geforce 4200 graphics card. I had to force-disable tons of stuff in the video drivers to get it to not crash. Plus probably some other stuff that I can't remember. It still crashed though, but not very often.