Dumbass woman charged with letter her kids get too much sun.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiger
Just saw a report on Fox about this this morning. They interviewed the Sheriff who filed the charges.
The blithering idiot mother was walking around a county fair with these three kids bare chested, no sun screen, on a 95 degree 90% humidity day. All three kids had second degree burns from exposure and one of the ten month old twins had a collapsed lung.
A disaster was averted by a sheriffs deputy and people think this is big brother?
The mother willnot be charged with any felony's and will be released today. The family will be receiving regular visits from childrens protective services.
Here is a quote from a man named Keith Murdock a spokesman for Trinity medical center where the children were treated. "The sunburn was not particularly severe. The children were treated with cold compresses and released the same day. We treated the minors for second degree Sunburn, most people who get sunburned get second degree sunburn. It means any sunburn that is beginning to blister. they were blistering."
I took this quote from a New York Times article that appeared in my local paper today. Nowhere is a collapsed lung mentioned and i am pretty sure the hospital would not release a 10 month old the same day who had a collapsed lung. Looks like the pretty standard blistering sunburn that most all of us have had at some point in our lives. while stupid on the mothers part certainly not criminal. I think that Sheriff is a nosey busybody.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Well, that's another thing. If I could walk, I would go the hell inside!! But since a 10month old doesn't know differently, the mother (or whoever was watching them at the time) is responsible.

nik

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nowhere is a collapsed lung mentioned and i am pretty sure the hospital would not release a 10 month old the same day who had a collapsed lung.
Consider the source. The Sheriff who pressed the charges was interviewed on Fox news this morning. I'll believe him over some "un-named" source in Pravda on the Hudson. Any kind of sunburn is serious when you're 10 months old. Maybe the ER in that town needs to be checked on also.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
Once again, I'' repeat (for the third time) that it says "second degree sunburn" NOT "second degree burn". Now, find me a definition of "second degree sunburn".

Let's make an analogy here. We'll compare "burn" to "traffic accident" and "sunburn" to "fender bender". Does "I got in a pretty bad traffic accident the other day" imply the same thing as "I got in a pretty bad fender bender the other day"? No. It odesn't. A serious traffic acident implies that a car or two was totalled and there were likely people injured. A serious fender bender implies that you'll probably need to get more than one body panel repaired. Similarly "seriouly burned" and "seriously sunbured" do NOT imply the same thing.

In the link that was posted before it says a burn can be caused by heat, radiation, electricity, or friction. It also says there are three kinds of burns: first, second, and third degree. I'm guessing that a second degree sunburn means a second degree burn that was caused by the sun
rolleye.gif

Anyways, I think punishing her with a criminal offense seems harsh for that alone, but I don't know the full details of the case. Do you?

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Anyways, I wonder how pasty some of you guys are to get sunburned so easily ;)
I guess I'm lucky... I -almost- never needed to put sunscreen on because my skin is a good enough defense. Of course, if the ozone layer gets significantly more damaged in the future this may change.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Update
Turns out the kids only had 1st degree burns, the "collapsed lung" was a pre-existing condition the child already had, and the felony charges were dropped in favor of far more reasonable misdemeanor child endangerment charges.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Update
Turns out the kids only had 1st degree burns, the "collapsed lung" was a pre-existing condition the child already had, and the felony charges were dropped in favor of far more reasonable misdemeanor child endangerment charges.
If that's the case I guess this was a lot for nothing :) I still maintain that if you're oblivious to sun damage on a toddler you're a dumbass but a 1st degree sunburn is pretty nothing (not great but we've ALL had them).

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
For chrissake yet another case of goverment trying to parent.

Oh gee so it turns out it wasn't nearly as serious as the authorities had claimed. How shocking.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Update

Nice fat lawsuit might teach that deputy a lesson.