Dumb question regarding sound cards

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
Hello, with a wireless USB headset (example Logitech g930 or sony ps3 stereo headset), does a sound card matter? Or is the usb stick have its own built in "sound card"?

I am trying to understand if it bypasses the onboard sound if I get one of those.

Aside from the question on the headsets above... For a standard analog headset (mini plug) which is better
- Onboard sound - optical out into a Turtle Beach DSS2 - Headphones plugged into the DSS2
- Sound card - headphones pluged into the sound card

Use case: Games and movies (casual - not looking for anything pro grade). Interested in getting better positional audio on the cheap.

Keep in mind that I would be using a headset < $100 and a soundcard < $100.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
USB headsets have their own audio chip so they do not use the sound card or motherboard audio.

Headphones plugged into the analog out of the motherboard will be fine if there is no hiss from radio frequency interference (RFI).

Otherwise, a sound card -might- have better sound processing options than the motherboard audio over optical out, like fancy EQ-ing and digital delay. If you just want the audio "straight up" then the quality will be the same with the motherboard.

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
This - another reason to skip USB headphones/headsets.

Why is that though? That is what I am trying to understand to make an informed decision. Would the Logitech g930 or the Sony PS3 wireless USB headsets be worse than onboard audio?

Thanks!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Why is that though? That is what I am trying to understand to make an informed decision. Would the Logitech g930 or the Sony PS3 wireless USB headsets be worse than onboard audio?

Thanks!

Trying to make an informed decision in the sound department seems to be impossible. I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my Club3D Theatron Agrippa to an ASUS Xonar DX or X-Fi Titanium (both the same price, leaning towards the X-Fi Titanium) but the information I get is always very mixed.

I distrust USB headsets and have had bad experiences with them.

My opinion: Get yourself a solid set of Stereo Earphones with either a good soundcard (ASUS Xonar DG, cheap, has it's own headphone amp built in) or good amplifier, a desktop or clipon mic and rock that way.