Dullard's Turn, fix my resume

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
256k JPG of resume

Throw your worst at it. Style, formatting, content, lack of content, confusion, etc. I haven't edited it yet, so I expect speeling & gramr mistacks. I'll drop the papers/patents and make this a resume, and keep them for a CV.

Thanks for anyone who provides any constructive criticism.

randumb

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2003
Pretty good except your subheadings (e.g. publications) look more prominent than your headings (e.g. papers and patents).

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Remove "in house codes" under Programming. Think about reducing the number of bullets under TA.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Interesting. Someone else from NE. Hello from Omaha. Not very constructive, sorry - I stopped reading after "Project Manager" because I've learned to avoid people who cannot specify a very detailed job title, and Project Manager is kind of equivalent to "Construction Worker" in terms of detail.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Interesting. Someone else from NE. Hello from Omaha. Not very constructive, sorry - I stopped reading after "Project Manager" because I've learned to avoid people who cannot specify a very detailed job title, and Project Manager is kind of equivalent to "Construction Worker" in terms of detail.

So in other words, if an employer gives you a generic job title, you make up a different one that sounds better?

That's what the job description is for, to clarify the position's duties.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
You need more content
/sarcasm

Actually it looks pretty good the design seems a little dated for my tastes but whatever floats your boat.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
For the CV version, what about affiliations and awards?
I could put in awards, not many affiliations to speak of yet. Should I then take out the award bullets under the BS degree?
Originally posted by: randumb
Pretty good except your subheadings (e.g. publications) look more prominent than your headings (e.g. papers and patents).
I'll work on that tonight.
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Remove "in house codes" under Programming. Think about reducing the number of bullets under TA.
Done.
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Hello other Nebraskan. I just put the title the company gave me. I could make up one I guess. Let me think about it.
Originally posted by: Zolty
Actually it looks pretty good the design seems a little dated for my tastes but whatever floats your boat.
It is a new design for me, the old one had way too much white space and looked horrible as I got more detail on it. But, if you have any examples of a less dated one, I'd like to take a look.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Looks good S.Whitney. ;)
I knew I couldn't really edit out my name, or anything personal for that matter, if I posted any publications.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Throw some measurable items in your past work experience. Also under each employer possibly add general description of company and overview of your direct reports and targets.

An opening statement would be nice. Just a few sentences describing your career. Not a "I want to work for a industry leader." BS.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Shouldn't he keep it to under two pages? Managers have a short attention span, and they're way too lazy to read all of that.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Style wise, I would remove all bold heading lines and make it more simple looking.

If possible I would add more focus on what was accomplish at your current job, that would be the main part I would look at the, teaching assistant, undergrad research stuff, are good to have there. But if I'm considering you for a position, I would want to know what you've done these past 3 years at mega research.

But all in all, good looking resume!