Duke Nukem Forever, the Paris Hilton of gaming?

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Please note I mean Duke Nukem Forever... not Duke... not Duke Nukem...and certainly not the entire Duke Nukem franchise. I am not talking about the past achievements of the franchise, or what it stood for, or what it might do for PC gaming one day. I am just comparing what Paris Hilton does to make the news with what DNF does to make the news, which is absolutely nothing.

Honestly, I am really f___ing tired of hearing about the game. Whenever someone involved with that intellectual property so much as breaks wind, the game is in the news as if it were the second coming of Christ. I mean ask yourself, is there anything substantial you've seen regarding the game's development?

Paris Hilton makes the news for activities that are totally meaningless, even in the paper thin celebrity gossip world, which says a lot. Every time I am tricked into reading an article about Paris Hilton, I end up wondering what it was that made it newsworthy.

With DNF, it could be the dev team hiring an artist to paint their respective ball sacks, or someone leaking a useless sprite, or some other meaningless shit. The fact is that none of these news items report anything substantial on when the game is going to be released, what it is going to look like, how it will innovate, and how much it is going to kick ass.

After having read at least a 100 different reports on DNF over the past few years, I expect to have some idea on the game.

Even this trailer thing, which I refuse to watch, isn't really an official trailer is it? It was some developers idea of a Christmas joke or something right?

Take a look at a highly anticipated game like StarCraft II. While there have been a couple of inane reports involving domain registrations and job postings, the game's development has been largely kept under wraps. Blizzard didn't leak anything till there was something to show, and fans responded to that.

Yet while you can't say if DNF will come in the next decade, you can say that there will plenty of other useless news items on the project. Currently 3D realms seem to have a talent for making the news with useless antics, like Paris Hilton. I suppose this could mean they are attention seeking whores, and we should be looking for "leaked" footage using night vision.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Paris Hilton has many "in game footage" videos on the net that proves she exists, therefore I would say that Duke Nukem Forever and Paris Hilton are not comparable, as the Duke Nukem Forever "ingame" footage videos do not make me a believer.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Dunno man, I did watch the trailer and it does appear to have some real ingame footage. They said there will be a more official trailer that we can expect soon-ish, so I suppose if we see a real trailer in the next 2-3 months, then we actually might have a real Duke Nukem Forever that's in the makes at 3Drealms ...

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Well I finally gave in and watched it.

Yes it was exciting, but unfortunately it already looks really dated. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up restarting it from scratch.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Yes it was exciting, but unfortunately it already looks really dated. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up restarting it from scratch.

Where were the exciting bits? :confused:

You're spot on with the Hilton comparison though.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Paris Hilton makes the news for activities that are totally meaningless, even in the paper thin celebrity gossip world, which says a lot. Every time I am tricked into reading an article about Paris Hilton, I end up wondering what it was that made it newsworthy.

Read? What's there to read; I just look at the naked pictures.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

Where were the exciting bits? :confused:

You're spot on with the Hilton comparison though.

I was talking about the Paris Hilton sex tape.

OK I wasn't...

I suppose it was exciting to see Duke after all these years, but without taking that into considering it was bland.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
You got it backwards youngster. Paris Hilton is the Duke Nukem Forever of newspaper tabloids.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
You got it backwards youngster. Paris Hilton is the Duke Nukem Forever of newspaper tabloids.

Wrong, she's always on CNN/FOX and CBS or whatever.

I think his point was that DNF was like this long before Paris was plastered everywhere.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
in Track & Field, DNF = Did Not Finish. which accurately describes Duke Nuke'em Forever.

Duke3d was actually the game that made me upgrade my 486 to a pentium!
we used to play so much Duke3d on LAN. ah the stadium level was great for deathmatch.

then there was a short period in which we played Shadow Warrior! probably the only game beside Duke3d to use the Build Engine.

shortly thereafter, Quake 2 killed the Nuke'em. Nuke'em failed, it was smited and fallen to the ground.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

So they might decide to redo everything with the engine UT3 is running off of?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Borealis7
in Track & Field, DNF = Did Not Finish. which accurately describes Duke Nuke'em Forever.

Duke3d was actually the game that made me upgrade my 486 to a pentium!
we used to play so much Duke3d on LAN. ah the stadium level was great for deathmatch.

then there was a short period in which we played Shadow Warrior! probably the only game beside Duke3d to use the Build Engine.

shortly thereafter, Quake 2 killed the Nuke'em. Nuke'em failed, it was smited and fallen to the ground.

I think you forgot about redneck rampage. I'm pretty sure that was made on the same engine. I loved Shadow Warrior! "Who wants some Wang?" The main character, Lo Wang, was pretty sweet.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Imaginer

So they might decide to redo everything with the engine UT3 is running off of?

It isn't something I'd want them to do, but that's what they've been doing since 1998; restaring the game from scratch.

Aug 9, 2007
I'm really fuckin tired of people making comments about how really fuckin tired they are of DNF.
Just do something else with your life instead of chewing on every game related dissapointment and when DNF finally comes out, just play it. It's a game!
My bet is: It will be more fun to play it with no mental ballast or fan hate than to constantly remind oneself at every texture and character animation how this could take 10 years to make.