DUI checkpoint: Did they handle this correctly?

Did the police handle this situation properly?

• The Police did an excellent job in this situation!

• Police should have let him be.

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
8 Minute video

I'm curious as to what you guys think. Should we expect to be treated this way? I will say the video is mostly boring, no action to really speak of. I'm withholding my thoughts at this time.

Eno Safirey

Dec 14, 2012
The selective control of law enforcement at checkpoints is the issue that should be looked into. Next time you see a checkpoint take a look around and observe if every vehicle that is stopped is being asked to comply with the questioning. Do you see commercial vehicles or big rigs being waved through?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
The selective control of law enforcement at checkpoints is the issue that should be looked into. Next time you see a checkpoint take a look around and observe if every vehicle that is stopped is being asked to comply with the questioning. Do you see commercial vehicles or big rigs being waved through?

This is important, because this is how they got checkpoints through the supreme court in the first place. Technically (according to the law) the checkpoints are legal, but the way they are run is completely unconstitutional. They exist as little more than tools for officers to collect overtime and generate revenue.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
We live in a state of soft totalitarianism like frogs in the pot that is becoming uncomfortably warm. I don't care because the water isn't boiling yet.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
hqdefault.jpg

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Cops were being pigs; nothing more than bullies power-tripping. They might congratulate themselves in private for hassling him over resisting their authoritah, but ultimately he didn't roll down the window for them and so he won.

The car inspection was a perfect example of bullshit. I would actually fire both of them if I could. Although an extremely tiny offense it speaks at how they see themselves and others. It was harassment.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I'm loving the people that are starting to resist.

No sir. Fuck off sir.

-John

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
You can clearly see the driver reaching for the the officer's gun. Surprised they didn't open fire. :)

These officers did a great job at creating the illusion of respecting the driver's liberty and freedom. It's obviously wrong of them to attempt to enter the vehicle without reasonable suspicion or a warrant, and even then they need to express the infraction. Interesting to have a DUI checkpoint where officers never ask the driver if he's sober.

We have not only the illusion of liberty and freedom, but also security. Therefore I won't be voting. And according to Ben Franklin... "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

EDIT: Nevermind, I watched the video twice and have voted even though the choices suck. These officers were obviously harassing him.

I also watched this gentleman's video explanation of the incident. Hard to fault this guy. He's well reasoned, respectful and articulate and does a good job of addressing his detractor's criticisms. He's basically what these bully officers don't want at the other end of their flashlights and guns.

BTW, he has an open carry permit. Therefore his gun was exposed on the driver's seat during this DUI stop. He's unsure whether the police actually saw it. Although I'd imagine they discovered his gun permit on a subsequent ID check. :)

First DUI Checkpoint and Radio Interview Recap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3n8UsqdEzs

Last edited:

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
This is where our forefathers got it right, if only one of the times they got it right.

They gave Government so much power, that they attempted to make up for it by passing the Bill of Rights, or the first Ten Amendments to the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights

The first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution are summarized below.

1 Freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.
2 Right to keep and bear arms in order to maintain a well regulated militia.
3 No quartering of soldiers.
4 Freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.
5 Right to due process of law, freedom from self-incrimination, double jeopardy.
6 Rights of accused persons, e.g., right to a speedy and public trial.
7 Right of trial by jury in civil cases.
8 Freedom from excessive bail, cruel and unusual punishments.
9 Other rights of the people.
10 Powers reserved to the states.

These were considered "basic rights" 200 years ago. Today, they want to take away my freedom of speech, take away my guns, etc.

-John

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
There is no proper way to handle a checkpoint. Checkpoints are one of the most anti-american things we can have and are a complete waste of taxpayer money.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Any time you refuse to give up your rights, the police will take it as you challenging their authority. These cops proved just how butt hurt they get. The cop attempting to open the door shows just how little they care about your rights. If this guy didn't have a camera, he surely would have been dragged out, cuffed and arrested for not licking boots.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Don't have to worry about this in Texas, as they're illegal under Texas' interpretation of federal Constitution.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/checkpoint_laws.html

I don't know if they are illegal here in Michigan, but I've never seen one. But then again, our cops tend to respect our freedom. They spend their time doing things like actually fighting crime and not harassing people just going out to buy toilet paper and kitty litter.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I don't know if they are illegal here in Michigan, but I've never seen one. But then again, our cops tend to respect our freedom. They spend their time doing things like actually fighting crime and not harassing people just going out to buy toilet paper and kitty litter.

They are not legal under the Michigan state constitution. Good for Michigan!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
They are not legal under the Michigan state constitution. Good for Michigan!

Really? ROCK ON!

Our cops really don't mess with people. You have to try hard to get a speeding ticket or any traffic ticket. Basically you have to be driving like a dick to get pulled over. The last person I saw get pulled over was the 6th or 7th to go after a left turn arrow turned red. The first 5 were "whatever".

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012

I remember seeing drug checkpoints in Michigan back in the 80's. But I think it was ruled unconstitutional.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
our cops tend to respect our freedom. They spend their time doing things like actually fighting crime and not harassing people just going out to buy toilet paper and kitty litter.

Except in Eaton county when a unarmed 17 yr old flashes his high beams at a sheriff deputy driving with his brights on. Then they just yank him out of the car tase him then put 6 bullets in him. seriously an illegal stop and illegal assault by the deputy that ends in a dead unarmed 17 yr old and it is ruled a lawful shooting?

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Except in Eaton county when a unarmed 17 yr old flashes his high beams at a sheriff deputy driving with his brights on. Then they just yank him out of the car tase him then put 6 bullets in him. seriously an illegal stop and illegal assault by the deputy that ends in a dead unarmed 17 yr old and it is ruled a lawful shooting?

I didn't read up on that one. Eaton is Lansing area, right?

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yea think it was over near Grand Ledge. Didn't get a lot of press. but was pretty messed up Looks like after getting tased the kid tried to defend himself and the cop killed him. Kid was recording on his phone but the recording ended when the cop tased him. Funny how the cops body cam got turned off at around the same time. The whole thing is fishy as hell. Claim he attacked the cop forcing the cop to kill him. I'm sorry but the standard for a cop to use deadly force needs to be a little steeper than the kid i just tased attacked me with his bare hands which if you believe the cops story is essentially what happened.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Yea think it was over near Grand Ledge. Didn't get a lot of press. but was pretty messed up Looks like after getting tased the kid tried to defend himself and the cop killed him. Kid was recording on his phone but the recording ended when the cop tased him. Funny how the cops body cam got turned off at around the same time. The whole thing is fishy as hell. Claim he attacked the cop forcing the cop to kill him. I'm sorry but the standard for a cop to use deadly force needs to be a little steeper than the kid i just tased attacked me with his bare hands which if you believe the cops story is essentially what happened.
There is an entire thread about it, on the front page of P&N no less :)