dude, my ipod shipped...from SHANGHAI, China

William

May 18, 2001
I ordered a third-gen 15gb iPod on Saturday Mar-20. (iPod mini had a long wait; besides, I'm glad I chose the 15gb one now)

It shipped Monday Mar-22.

It's arriving 1030am Mar-24.

It got shipped from origin location: SHANGHAI, China

I think this was fantastically extraordinary, but I figure Apple's plant is over there -- it's cheaper to produce, fab, etc. I was taken aback when I looked at the FedEx tracker and it said shipped from China.

Anyone else experience this, or did you iPod get shipped from somewhere else, or do you even remember? Come on, people! ;)

Ha!

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
My Powerbook was shipped from Taiwan and was here the next day. :D
My powerbook shipped from Taiwan as well, but mine took about 3 days (I paid for 2nd day air only)...

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
It's probably cheaper just to ship it direct from China than it is to first ship it to Apple's warehouse first and then again to your home.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
My Powerbook was shipped from Taiwan and was here the next day. :D
My powerbook shipped from Taiwan as well, but mine took about 3 days (I paid for 2nd day air only)...

Hmm. I guess there's something to that. I read somewhere ECS makes the mobos for Apple. Talk about a quality product;):D

William

May 18, 2001
Ya, I just msged my friend and she said the same about her brother's ibook. Quirky way the world ships, ya.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I don't know where mine shipped from, but it says it's assembled in Taiwan on the back, so I don't know why it would ship from Shanghai.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
ipods are completely outsourced... the only thing that apple designed is the casing.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
my ibm notebook was shipped from hong kong too via ups air, and I used the free ground shipping.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I ordered an iPod mini and it said it was shipped from shanghai, but in reality the return address on the package said elk grove, ca.

KrustyVT

Jun 28, 2000
Originally posted by: William

It got shipped from origin location: SHANGHAI, China

iPod's are batch shipped direct from the factory in China in bulk ... eventually your tracking results will update to say it is being delivered to Indianapolis, IN - the Fedex US distribution point where the bulk shipment is disbanded. At this point the individual iPod's go on their merry way to each customer. And yes, the process is extremely quick, for an international shipment.

-=K=-

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
I ordered an iPod mini and it said it was shipped from shanghai, but in reality the return address on the package said elk grove, ca.

Apple has a parts wherehouse or something in Elk Grove. If you ever need replacement parts, they will likely be shipped from there. Convienient for me though, as it's 10 miles from here :)