DuckDuckGo

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Just discovered this, and I'm wondering if there is any reason not to use it?

For those that live under a rock like me, it's a search engine.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Been using it exclusively for years. I especially like the !bang feature. I always find what I need, but it's less personalized than google since they aren't recording everything you do online. That means I have to be more explicit with my searches since ddg doesn't "know" me, but that's a small price to pay to not be in databases. I'm almost 100% google free. Just a bit of legacy email's all that's left.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I use it as my main search engine as well. In fact about the only google service I use is Youtube and Google maps. And well Android, out of lack of choice but I try to not rely on any of the cloud stuff. I don't really want an Apple.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The only issue I've run into is less in the way of relevant results but as mentioned that's most likely due to better privacy.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The only issue I've run into is less in the way of relevant results but as mentioned that's most likely due to better privacy.
Same, but it worth it to be out of google’s grasp. The only google product I use is YT, and thus far I have refused to create an account, despite the advantages of doing so.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Same, but it worth it to be out of google’s grasp. The only google product I use is YT, and thus far I have refused to create an account, despite the advantages of doing so.

Lets face it ... nobody is completely beyond Google's grasp :oops:

Reactions: Ajay

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lets face it ... nobody is completely beyond Google's grasp :oops:

Yeah same with FB. Even if you don't have an account these companies know about you.

Imagine what companies we don't know about know about us, or the government. The way browsers work make it too easy to be tracked. Even with extensions some stuff leaks through. Phones are even worse because they have more sensors that are free for websites to read, such as mic and accelerometer to listen you your conversations. Ever notice how ads that show up are based on stuff you talked about?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Phones are even worse because they have more sensors that are free for websites to read, such as mic and accelerometer to listen you your conversations. Ever notice how ads that show up are based on stuff you talked about?

Was just discussing this with my daughter the other day happens all the time.

Just this morning noticed 3 different articles related to Ronald Reagan shutting down all the state-run mental hospitals. Had been discussing the topic on here a few days ago.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
It works well enough. I have two browsers installed and the one that is exclusively in private uses Duck Duck Go.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Which is the browser of choice to use with DDG?
Firefox of course! ;^)

Use whatever browser you like, but I'm against the chromium monopoly. It didn't work out well for users when MS monopolized the web, and it won't be any better with google as lord.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Firefox of course! ;^)

Use whatever browser you like, but I'm against the chromium monopoly. It didn't work out well for users when MS monopolized the web, and it won't be any better with google as lord.
Just seems silly to use Chrome to avoid using Google search engine for example. I do use FF, but was curious.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just seems silly to use Chrome to avoid using Google search engine for example. I do use FF, but was curious.
I don't disagree, but I think ddg has some nice features that are worth people's time, even if they aren't concerned with google tracking. Or maybe they want to take baby steps to freedom. Another example is it might seem silly to run libre software on Windows. Why be concerned with software freedom when you're running it on a non free core? Anything's better than nothing, and for those interested, it sets up a familiar toolchain that requires fewer concessions if/when they're ready to make the big switch to something like gnu/linux.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I have Brave forget everything once it is closed and have ddg set as the default search engine. Brave uses Chromium which is a Google product but unlike Chrome, I highly doubt there is any Google tracking code. I never sign into any accounts with this browser.

I use Firefox for everything else.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I was looking at an open source web tracking program that someone in the office deployed. It basically connects the dots between IP addresses and website visits. Then.....if you have any cookies hanging on, it reads those and harvests all your data to connect usernames with your site visits and builds a profile. It's exactly what we've assumed the big companies do, but it was pretty easy for this to snap in and build those kinds of profiles on any site....then use it as a CRM type product to do outreach.

Just goes to show you can't be anonymous anymore without making a fake profile...since so many sites require cookies and tracking.