Duck fat fries - any good?

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
So I was in Portland last week and was told about this restaurant that served up duck fat fries and how awesome it was. Got a bit distracted with microbrews there and am now back in Dallas and didn't get to try it. I don't see any local place here that offer it. How is it that I'm in the home of fried butter and I can't find good duck fat fries? Must be too healthy or no good. Anyone had some and is it worth hunting down?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Duck fat fries are the highest possible evolution of the french fry. They're not worth a sacred quest to find, but it you're a fan of great fries they're worth driving across town for. Not the kind of thing you'll find a lot of in Dallas though, that town is more into lard.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I love ducks too much to eat anything from them, let alone potatoes fried in their coagulated reheated grease.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I'm sure they are great but tell me you hit up a bunch of strip clubs while sipping the micros!

Portland is good for beer and strippers!

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I'd rather eat the duck. Duck is amazing.

some friends and I make a big event out of sundays, spend all day cooking things and drinking select beer and wine. sundays are good.

someone requested duck recently, so a couple of weeks ago we got some duck breasts. my friend made a red wine reduction, seared the breasts in a pan, then i fried potato slices (like thick cut chips) in the rendered fuck fat and we served sliced duck on the chips with the reduction

holy shit it was great.

ah, but there was so much fat rendered out....we couldnt throw it away, thatd be stupid

oh! we were going to grill a whole beef tenderloin as steak au poivre and use the trimmings as a base for a cognac and cream sauce!

but wait, that didnt need duck fat...oh! i was going to make yorkshire puddings to go with the steak

so i used duck fat to fill the muffin tins, and made the puddings with what i got from deglazing the pan the duck was cooked in. talk about fucking amazing.

sundays are really, really good.

Sep 12, 2004
I love ducks too much to eat anything from them, let alone potatoes fried in their coagulated reheated grease.
Here's a pic for you that I took this very afternoon in my backyard:

DSCN8642.jpg

Aren't they cute?

With that out of the way...duck fat fries are awesome and I'm cooking some duck breast for dinner tomorrow night because duck is my favorite fowl meat.

OP, if you want duck fat fries try making your own:

http://www.pekinparadise.com/55-duck-fat-gallon.html

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I'm sure they are great but tell me you hit up a bunch of strip clubs while sipping the micros!

Portland is good for beer and strippers!

It was my understanding that the only strippers better than Dallas strippers are those in Florida - so I only hit the brewskis.

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
i'm had them once at Hot Dougs in Chicago, they are alright, but i'd like to try them again at a different venue before i came to a conclusion. they tasted the same to me.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
some friends and I make a big event out of sundays, spend all day cooking things and drinking select beer and wine. sundays are good.

someone requested duck recently, so a couple of weeks ago we got some duck breasts. my friend made a red wine reduction, seared the breasts in a pan, then i fried potato slices (like thick cut chips) in the rendered fuck fat and we served sliced duck on the chips with the reduction

holy shit it was great.

ah, but there was so much fat rendered out....we couldnt throw it away, thatd be stupid

oh! we were going to grill a whole beef tenderloin as steak au poivre and use the trimmings as a base for a cognac and cream sauce!

but wait, that didnt need duck fat...oh! i was going to make yorkshire puddings to go with the steak

so i used duck fat to fill the muffin tins, and made the puddings with what i got from deglazing the pan the duck was cooked in. talk about fucking amazing.

:hmm:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
That is a correct usage of the word render. Those into haute cuisine prefer to use the word render in conjunction with fat, sounds better than to say "melt that shit" or whatever.
I think his commentary was about the "fuck fat," lol.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Wait, Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine? Google gives me a ton of Maine locations for duckfat fries.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001

holy shit it was great.

There something you want to tell us? lol

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Duck fat fries are awesome.... I usually get them at Bulldogs Grill in Wauconda, IL (available every Friday.)

That said, I actually like their fries loaded with cheese, chilli, and onions better .... but that's because I'm a cheeseaholic.

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
I've had them at a steak restaurant. Was iffy at first. When they were brought out, I devoured them.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Wait, Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine? Google gives me a ton of Maine locations for duckfat fries.

Since he mentioned going to a bunch of microbreweries, I assumed Portland, OR. Of course he did not mention being attacked by hippy hipsters, so maybe he was in Portland, ME.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Sweet potato fries fried in duck fat, glazed with truffle sauce and served with a rosemary garlic dip

DELISH

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
It's the reason why you wait until Friday or Saturday to go to Hot Doug's.

MMmmmmmmmmm...

P.S. Roast Duck is awesome. Cantonese roast duck... Peking roast duck...

Or even better, Cantonese roast goose!