Dualboot Arch Linux+Windows 8.1: Samsung EVO SSD causes corruption

Natanji

May 19, 2014
So I have installed Windows 8.1 on my new Thinkpad T440s, into which I installed a brand-new Samsung EVO SSD with 750GB. The system is amazing and blazing fast under Windows 8.1, even though I encrypted it using Truecrypt System Encryption.

I am running a dualboot system with Arch Linux installed alongside Windows 8.1. This has worked perfectly on my old (but small) Sandisk SSD. I have had this setup on my previous SSD, and just cloned the old partition, then increased the size of the Windows partition.

But now I have severe problems in Arch Linux. When I mount the Windows (Truecrypt System-Encrypted) partition (no matter wether with the ntfs kernel module or ntfs-3g), a *few* files just appear as binary gibberish to Linux. When I reboot in Windows, everything is fine. When I copy the file to a different location, the copy stays gibberish in Windows. When I rename the file (like Firefox automatically did with my prefs.js when it wasn't readable on Linux), the file stays gibberish in Windows and even renaming it back under Linux will not bring the data back, even when I restart in Windows afterwards. I even had one instance where all I did was open the file in vim on Linux, seeing gibberish, and then under Windows it was not restored but stayed gibberish, effectively corrupting my file system.

The files affected that I could find so far were always small files very recently used by Windows, like my Pidgin, Firefox or Thunderbird profile. In fact I can reproduce the error insofar that when I start Windows and do *not* open any of those programs, the files are much more likely to be fine on the next Linux boot. What's even more weird is that not all files of the Firefox profile are affected, but only the clear-text files. Binary files like the sqlite databases are *not* affected.

In Windows, fast start is disabled. I ran chkdsk a few times but that didn't solve the problem either. I updated the SSD to most recent firmware. I have tried with Samsung Magician both installed and uninstalled, with RAPID mode on and off. Nothing. I am at a loss of what I can do.

Is my SSD faulty? Do I need to replace it? Or are there other things I can do to make this setup work on the Samsung EVO?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I know that you said the setup the same as before,
but what happens if you remove the encryption entirely, instead of mounting the encrypted partition
Just to help rule out a possible issue.