Dual VX2025WM or Single 2407FPW?

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Last week I got a 2407FPW from Dell via UPS. Well, needless to say UPS damaged the packaging and subsequently the monitor inside. Dell gave me the option to either refund my money or get me back another one. Logic told me to get another Dell, but for less than what the single 24" Dell costs I can get two Viewsonic VX2025WMs (1680x1050). I don't do a lot of multitasking where two screens are necessary, but thats a lot of screen space! I game enough to want a bigger monitor than a 19" LCD, but not enough to where 24" is completely necessary. That said, I would think that having two monitors could get kind of annoying with the bar in the center of the screen. A single, HUGE display seems more practical (the only good uses for dual screens is coding, etc.) So help me out here, dual 20s or a single 24?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well it depends on what you are playing. Friend of mine is a huge RTS guy and swears by his dual 2005FPs and he's right, it is pretty cool for those games, but for an FPS I think having the bars in-between would be damn annoying, or even if you were watching a movie or something.

So if I were you I would just get the new 2407, unless you can think of other instances where the duals would come in handy.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
As long as the Dell 2407fpw doesn't have any banding issues go for that. If it does, go for the 2405fpw.

bigtm135

Nov 5, 2005
i just got a 2407fpw, and i upgraded from a 19". When I initially ordered it, I didn't think much of it, but when it came, i thought they had gotten my order messed up with the 3007. It was enormous, I had to measure it to be sure it wasn't over 24" (I had never seen a 24" before, always a 23 or lower) . This thing is great, I have two computers on my desk and I had to put one on the floor because my monitor wouldn't fit on the desk lol. Sure two 20"s may be nice, but theres also that BIG BLACK BAR down the middle (if you have dual). And the 2407's nice. I wouldn't consider buying anything else. Mine is Rev2 and it doesn't look like it has color banding XD. After I got this, I feel that if I had gotten a bigger monitor, it would be annoying to try to view something so big, lol. Anyway thats my opinion, congrats on whichever you choose :)

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Yeah I was planning on getting the 2407FPW but a friend suggested the two 20s. I play only FPS (with the exception of NFSMW) so the black line would suck.

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
I run 2 - 2007wp and love them. I play mostly mmrpg and some fps. the fps i just set it to single screen. However once get 2 screens you quickly realize how cool it is, open email on one, open web on other, run mult web browsers seperated. School work, open word and dictionary on other. Playing mmrpg I open the game on 1 and open the web with the quest listing on the other :)

if you cannot decide go for 2 - 2407 and get best of both worlds :p

HomeyFoos

Aug 22, 2005
if you cannot decide go for 2 - 2407 and get best of both worlds

That's the best advice I've heard all day. I have a 2007FPW as the display for my htpc and a viewsonic N2750w (27" but only 1280x720) as my main pc display. Soon, I plan on selling this viewsonic and getting a 2407FPW but man, two would be super sweet. I'd have to get another 2007 just to even out my desk (I have the 'Jerker' from Ikea and you can add these little platform arms to the side of it so my 2007FPW is off to the left of the main screen displaying satellite).

Get the 2407. The 2007 is a wonderful monitor. It's substantial and at the same time, it's understated. Just pure screen. No funky design or useless speakers. Well made, great resolution, great exterior looks. I've seen the 2407 and it's more of the same, just bigger. And like BF04 said, if you cna't decide, just get two.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
dual monitors are pretty cool, 1 x vx2025wm should be fine for games. as stretching a game across 2 monitors looks kinda weird (gotta use 3 to balance). then u can use the other viewsonic to do web browsing and chat or w/e.. dunno how the mouse pointer would work tho in fps games. a single 24" would be great for gaming but then u lose the ability to web browst etc at the same time

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Howard
All this money is scaring me.
You're not the only one.

The dual 24s sounds really, really good. That being said, I am only 16 years old and have a summer internship in the IS department at a medical center employing 6600+. It's good money but not that good of money, lol. Everyone has made some good points for both solutions... so I'm really going to have to think about this one.

Geez, I love hard decisions ;)

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Having been there and done that. I'd vote for one 24". It takes up less space and cables hanging around the already crowded desk.