Dual Monitors...

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i was just wondering... how exactly does this work... like a dual monitor setup... can you see the same thing on both screens or like could i have quake3 open on one and like internet explorer on the other or something???

sorry if this is a n00b question

TimeKeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Yes, you can have clone image or extended image (great when you are doing some graphic editing)
I know you can download some software so your quake3 able to play extended image also.
Win98se bit flaky on Dual support, XP is more stable. (haven't tried the win2k w/ dual yet)

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I was confused too until I tried it:)

Without any kind of software support, a DualHead Vid card will just output the same image onto the 2 monitors. Now with software in the OS, basically the 2 monitors become a giant desktop. Like, I've got a R7500 with a 17" @ 1024x768 and a 13" @ 800x600, so basically, the desktop is now 1824x1368 and it gives me more workspace. Unfortunately u cant like switch between a game and ie window type of thing simply because when you click outside (this is the case with most games) the game's window, it minimized, and defeats the purpose.

In any case, for a person like me who spends most of his time surfing, and working in Word/Excel docs, its a great and very useful feature even with a cheapo setup like mine where the 2nd monitor is a old 13":)

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
hmm im still not entirely sure how it works... its basically just a bigger destkop then?

ai42

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2001
hmm im still not entirely sure how it works... its basically just a bigger destkop then?

Yes your desktop area spans accross two screens. I've been running dual monitors all the way back on my P166 with 2x PCI video cards. I've even convinced my boss to pay for my dual setup at work too.

Yea you can never have enough desktop space my only grip is that with two CRT monitors they put of lots of heat (especially 2x 19in monitors). I recently replace one with a comparable LCD and I am going to do the same with the other when I get the cash.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: ai42

Yes your desktop area spans accross two screens. I've been running dual monitors all the way back on my P166 with 2x PCI video cards. I've even convinced my boss to pay for my dual setup at work too.

Yea you can never have enough desktop space my only grip is that with two CRT monitors they put of lots of heat (especially 2x 19in monitors). I recently replace one with a comparable LCD and I am going to do the same with the other when I get the cash.

oh cool but dont think its what im lookin for then :(

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Fatt
What ARE you looking for?

well something that doesn't exist, apparently :(

i was under the impression that i could have quake3 on one monitor and like IE and icq and whatnot on the other and have em run in harmony... but coming to think of it, i don't see how keyboard/mouse navigation would work, even if i had 2 of each... :confused: :confused:

Fun Guy

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
You need "independent" monitor capability, which I believe Matrox provides as a driver option with both their G450 and G550.

Matrox Cards

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Dual monitor setups are cool.

That said, you need two computers to do what you want :p

chansen

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
As long as you have the destop space, dual and triple monitor setups are ridiculously easy and useful. Get a couple of half-decent 2D PCI video cards (nVidia TNT, ATi Rage 128, Matrox Millenium, or newer), and even an old 15" monitor gathering dust is useful again. I recently bought an old Matrox Millenium II from eBay for $7.50. Older video cards can be used, but you'll have to set your BIOS to initialize the PCI video card first - your computer will post to the PCI card, but you can set your primary display back to your main monitor in Windows.

Craig

BuddyAtBzboyz

Jul 19, 2002
While not what you want multi desktop is still a great feature. I'm currently running a 15" LCD and a 17" CRT off my Radeon 8500. I was slightly dissapointed when I couldn't surf the net while playing games, but that is because games play full screen, so the mouse stays in the main screen. But it is awesome for surfingthe net while writing a report and I have always multitasked, and this makes it way easier. I think its possible to have 1 desktop per monitor, but I don't know how as of yet as I just got my lcd yesterday.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Fun Guy
You need "independent" monitor capability, which I believe Matrox provides as a driver option with both their G450 and G550.

Matrox Cards

looked at the site... very cool but i suppose i would need two computers to do that :( :p

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: chansen
As long as you have the destop space, dual and triple monitor setups are ridiculously easy and useful. Get a couple of half-decent 2D PCI video cards (nVidia TNT, ATi Rage 128, Matrox Millenium, or newer), and even an old 15" monitor gathering dust is useful again. I recently bought an old Matrox Millenium II from eBay for $7.50. Older video cards can be used, but you'll have to set your BIOS to initialize the PCI video card first - your computer will post to the PCI card, but you can set your primary display back to your main monitor in Windows.

Craig
Totally agree!!!! I was given a 13" not too long ago, and I said, "hey! Lets try Dual Monitors!!". So I go downstairs, grab a Trident '94 2D card (not the best but hey it works) and I start using it and I just LOVE IT!!!!! I spend most of my time surfing, working in MS Office, and listening to music, and this is just so useful to have to things open at the same time. The text was a tad blurry on my GF2MX/Trident '94 setup, so I did get a Radeon 7500. It works great!!! Even with a "low-end" setup like mine.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i suppose im gonna have to try this out to see for myself... thing is i doubt my bro will lend me his monitor for this :D

Bulldog7000

Dec 18, 1999
IT'S POSSIBLE! I HAVE DONE IT!

You need 2 seperate Video Cards. Have a sweet AGP card for your Primary/Gaming Monitor and get a PCI RADEON 7000 or 7500 and run your second Tube on that. They are independant.

Granted, I have only done this in Win2k, HAVEN'T tried it in anything else. You cannot go between the two monitors when you are in game play, but you can see the webpage or ICQ updates. You will have to ALT-TAB to go between your game and whatever is on the other Monitor.

Good Luck!

BDOG

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Bulldog7000
IT'S POSSIBLE! I HAVE DONE IT!

You need 2 seperate Video Cards. Have a sweet AGP card for your Primary/Gaming Monitor and get a PCI RADEON 7000 or 7500 and run your second Tube on that. They are independant.

Granted, I have only done this in Win2k, HAVEN'T tried it in anything else. You cannot go between the two monitors when you are in game play, but you can see the webpage or ICQ updates. You will have to ALT-TAB to go between your game and whatever is on the other Monitor.

Good Luck!

BDOG

w00t!! nice!! :cool:

that's more along what i was hoping for... ill definitely keep this somewhere on my ToDo list for comp upgrades :)