Question Dual Monitor setup for Gaming/Photo Editing

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
About a year ago I started playing video games with my kids when they bought a PS4 and I re-purposed a PC for my son. I ended up getting my own PS4 a few months later so all 3 of us could play together. Fast forward a few months and I have now started playing games on my PC. So far I am enjoying the PC experience despite the fact that my PC, monitors, and peripherals are ancient. Currently I am gaming on an i7-920 with 6GB DDR3 RAM at 1333 MHz which I built over 10 years ago for photo editing (which I still do on occasion but not as much any more). The GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB and was an oops of sorts. I upgraded a video card for my son's PC and originally bought him the 1060 only to realize a 1660 could be had for just a few bucks more. The restocking fee on the 1060 wasn't worth it so I put it in my machine. The PC does OK for now and a new build is planned down the road. Instead I am going to focus on monitors and peripherals for now. And the monitors have me completely stumped on what to do!

Currently I am using a Dell 2209WA, which is a 22" IPS panel, 1680x1050, and a Samsung 915N which is a 19" 1280x1024. I've enjoyed both monitors for many years, but neither cut it for gaming. So I've been lamenting over what to do. For my space I think the largest monitor I would want is a 24". I've played around on my son's 27", but sitting that close is too immersive, almost giving me a dizzy feeling. I'm a little bit OCD and have always wanted dual monitors that are the same for symmetry purposes, but I have yet to own any, so maybe that isn't so important. So that leads me to 4 options:

1. Buy 2 of the same monitors
2. Buy a "gaming" monitor and a "photo editing monitor"
3. Buy a gaming monitor and use my Dell 2209WA for photo editing
4. Get an ultrawide

Pro and cons of each.

1. 24" IPS monitors with good response times are tough to come by and I'll be compromising a little on both sides. Will finally have identical panels though. Looks like the Acer VG240YP is a decent model. AOC has a 24G2 but no one has it in stock.
2. Most of these seem to have slightly different dimensions and have bezel differences so they won't be exact in size. But I could have a very good monitor for each task. There are several models that could fit this task but I would love recommendations.
3. Size difference is even greater than option 2. Least cost involved saving money for a PC upgrade.
4. Ultrawide gives the same amount of screen space in one package. More expensive.

Since I am using a 1060 I had planned for 1080P, 144Hz for the gaming side. I play Fortnite at lower settings so getting high frame rates isn't too hard.

So any recommendations on what to do? Or some monitors that I may have missed in my search? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: