Dual HDD's in MacbookPro - SSD+HDD or 2x Momentus XT?

HaukSwe

Jul 6, 2010
Hey,

So I'm replacing the optical drive in my Macbook Pro with a second HDD (Who uses DVD's anyway?!) and am wondering what you'd think the best way to go is..

Should I either get a 80gb intel x25-m for system/application disk + a 750GB 2nd HDD, a low-energy silent 5400 RPM or so,

Or... get two Momentus XT hybrid drives and run them striped raid and thus get decent performance and 1TB HDD space? That'd be 260 USD, less than only the SSD..

If I recall correctly from Anandtech's review of Momentus XT, it's got 4GB of SLC Nand, so with two that'd make for 8GB... wouldn't that perform quite decent in RAID? Or at least, wouldn't the performance in RAID get closer to SSD-like?

Let me know your thoughts please guys!

Cheers,

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
what are you trying to accomplish? What version of Macbook Pro? I don't think RAID is going to give you much benefit in this kind of setup.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
If it were me, I'd do a SSD + HDD. The SSD should still run laps around the Momentus XT, and the dedicated SSD should handle storage duties without a problem.

HaukSwe

Jul 6, 2010
It's a 2nd gen 15 inch macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16ghz,

Logic says RAID would give Momentus XT a decent benefit, since the NAND would double to 8GB... no?

Upon some further research I found that the Momentus drives consume quite a bit of power... so two of them might equal zero batterylife.. the only report I've seen is a newegg user review saying that his 7 hour MBP battery life went down to 3h 30min when switching to momentus XT :O