dual HD 5770 not working in xfire

CaptCanada

May 21, 2003
I have two HD 5770 cards, one MSI and one XFX. I have them connected in xfire but when I boot there is no video out, but the computer is booting as I can see the hd light coming on.

With just the XFX card installed/connected, the system boots into windows okay. I have a Ultra 600watt power supply. Each card has at it's own 12v connector.

Not sure what is going on. Any ideas ?

thanks!

MoMeanMugs

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
I have two HD 5770 cards, one MSI and one XFX. I have them connected in xfire but when I boot there is no video out, but the computer is booting as I can see the hd light coming on.

With just the XFX card installed/connected, the system boots into windows okay. I have a Ultra 600watt power supply. Each card has at it's own 12v connector.

Not sure what is going on. Any ideas ?

thanks!

Which one is the primary card? Did you try switching the monitor cable to the other card?

CaptCanada

May 21, 2003
The XFX card is my primary. I haven't tried connecting the monitor to the second card. I will give a try

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
if you have two dvi ports on the card, try the other dvi port on the primary (top) card.

i would then attempt to reseat the cards and cf connector if that doesnt work.

CaptCanada

May 21, 2003
I connected the monitor to the second videocard, and got my video display. I am not familiar with crossfire, this is my first dual videocard setup actually. I had read that it doesn't matter what videocard you use for your display, maybe in this case it does?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
My guess is your power supply. Ultra is more junk than not, and every "600W Ultra" PSU I'm finding has anemic 12v rails.

CaptCanada

May 21, 2003
I went into my bios and found that I had to set the third PCIE slot to X1 to enable the second slot, as when it is on auto that slot is disabled. Crossfire then was available and I enabled it in CCC

Now though, after I had the cabling all tied up and stowed them, there is no crossfire and no video from either card now. There is power to the cards and I have even unplugged power to my second card, but still no video from the first card. I haven't physically removed the second card yet, that is today's job.

Any ideas?