Dual Core - XP Instable but Vista stable?

aelfwyne

Dec 10, 2004
I recently switched from an Athlon64 3400+ 939 to an Opteron 170.

I installed the dual core cpu driver from AMD, the patch from MS, and the optimizer from AMD all according to instructions found here.

The first reboot after installing the drivers, I got a blue-screen from XP. Not so good... I rebooted again, and everything was okay.

Then I got to overclocking.... I kept having weird issues, which of course I blamed on the clock rates... I could get it to 2.7ghz, and run prime95 and SuperPI simultaneously for over an hour with no errors, yet if I rebooted, there would be a chance it would blue-screen. So I'd slow down the clockrates, and I thought that fixed it. Then it would bluescreen at the stock clockrates...

Meanwhile, I was also playing with Vista. THEN I noticed - Vista is rock solid even at 2.7ghz. I realized it wasn't my clock rates at all that was making XP unstable - it was the change in processor!

As I speak, I'm in XP. It didn't bluescreen this bootup (it would do it right after loading the desktop if it was going to), but I can't say anything for the next bootup.

Also, CoolNQuiet worked great on my system before the CPU change... Now if I enable CoolNQuiet I get these annoying slowdowns randomly, yet nothing registers on CPU usage. The CPU itself seems to be experiencing massive slowdown intermittently due to CoolNQuiet... Like I said, this feature worked great on my single core - I really would prefer to use it on the dual core, so that my cpu fans, etc, can slow down and give me some peace and quiet when I'm not on the computer! Yet, it doesn't seem like CoolNQuiet likes dual core AT ALL....

Did I make a mistake getting an AMD dual core instead of just getting a new motherboard and going Intel? Any tips on getting XP to work CORRECTLY with dual core? As I said, I did install the dual core processor driver, MS update AND the optimizer.

EDIT:

Found a thread that explains the exact same issue I'm having:
dual core optimizer utility. Basically, same issue. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors after the welcome screen on windows load. One person commented that AMD's response was that the dual core optimizer wasn't intended for Opterons.... Is this the case? What are you supposed to do with Opterons?

aelfwyne

Dec 10, 2004
Okay...... I found another thread that explains it.... There is an interaction between several different things here... First of all, apparently Dual Core Optimizer doesn't play well with Cool N Quiet.... even though it was supposed to fix it. So basically, NO COOL N QUIET on Opteron....

Second, the blue-screens may be attributable to DAEMON TOOLS.... There is a fix for daemon tools (4.03 has the bug, 4.06 fixes it) in the newer versions. The changelog does specify a "Dual Core Optimizer" fix, so we'll see if it fixes my problem... and disabling Cool N Quiet....